What's new
What's new

Baby vise: 2" Wilton Bullet Vise

CharlesWaugh

Plastic
Mu newest play-toy: a 2" Wilton Bullet Vise (note that is all-caps!)

I got this off of Craigslist for $35 - they go for upwards of $200 on Ebay.
:-)

I tore it down, cleaned and tuned it, and painted it fire-engine red with gold lettering and built a base for it that bolts to my bench. (My bench is old tooling plate from a stamping house, and has 1/2-13 holes all over it.)

The ball-mount is rather solid (not a Wilton product, though) and has a very smooth action.

It matches my 3" Bullet and is a little brother of my 6" Wilton Tradesman vise (that I also got for $35).

Too much fun!

Attachments suddenly working!

Sorry, I tried to attach files to the last post but t wouldn't work (even with a re-start of Firefox)

Now, it's suddenly working.

Cool!

So, here are the pics you are looking for.

Cheers!

Attachments

• _S000006.jpg
    _S000006.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 7,271
  • _S000011.jpg
    _S000011.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 2,659
  • _S000014.jpg
    _S000014.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 5,000
  • _S000016.jpg
    _S000016.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,832
The inability to attach photos to "first in thread" post is an anti-spam feature.
You could have posted the first post, then gone back and pressed "Edit Post" and "Go Advanced" to add the photos. But, no harm done. Welcome to the forum.

There's an old New England phrase to describe attractive small stuff:
"As cute as a bug's ear!"

That array of threaded holes in the thick benchtop give you all sorts of possibilities to clamp your work, install bending posts & levers, etc limited only by your ingenuity.

Who made the ball-mount base? You mentioned that it is not Wilton.

John Ruth

Ball-mount by Reypo

Odd name: Reypo
It's cast into the base.
And, it is really heavy-duty.

Also, it has a 1" stem sticking up out of the ball, with a 5/8" hole in it with a small set-screw. The plate my vise is mounted to has a 5/8 stem with a groove on it that the set-screw clamps to.

Now I want to build OTHER accessories for the ball-mount.

Oh, and thanks!

I didn't know that about forum-posting and spam - thanks for the tip!
(I was feeling pretty dumb there for a while)

And, yes, my bench is a dream!
The main area is 24x48x1-1/2" and has three rows of 1/2-13 holes every 1" and another row of 1/2" through-holes every 1".
The through-holes are perfect for the Vice-grip bench clamp (see attached)
I just drop it in the hole and it wedges itself in when i clamp it on something - no nut needed underneath!

Super handy for welding.
I even built another one with a longer reach out of an old pair of vice-grips.

The rest of the bench is a 10x45x1-1/4" tooling plate and an area about 48" square with an sheet of HDPE on it.

I have a big flat drawer under the bench just filled with clamping bolts, stepped blocks, hold-down bars, nuts, washers, etc., all 1/2-13.

It's a beast - must weight around 1500 pounds by now.

Attachments

• vice grip.jpg
    vice grip.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 4,692
Last edited:

Back