What's new
What's new

Manson miniature Monarch looking lathe for sale.

I've seen those little Manson lathes sell for some really amazing prices.......amazing when you consider that it's not much more than a novelty/curiosity/display piece. It always begs the question: "Is it a real lathe, or a toy?" It would look downright appropriate in a Barbie and Ken "dream shop" next to their "dream house"..........

Don't misunderstand me.....I wouldn't mind having one just for the fun of it, but brother, at the prices they're getting these days I can buy myself a REAL lathe, capable of REAL work.

The things are very collectable. I have had several, but I have never tried to use one, since I have plenty of good lathes.

Here are pictures of the last three I owned, a ManSon, a DuoLathe and a MonoLathe (the rarest of the three).

Larry

Attachments

• ManSon 2.jpg
    ManSon 2.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 31,222
  • DuoLathe 2.jpg
    DuoLathe 2.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 14,320
  • Monolathe 1.JPG
    Monolathe 1.JPG
    63.5 KB · Views: 3,901
I ran across one a few years ago and couldn't resist picking it up, I can't remember how much I paid but no where near the number for that one.

Its a pretty cool little machine, very nicely made but it wasn't intended for full time shop use, its a very serious hobby machine.

A popular myth about these machines is that they were made during WW2 to allow training lathe operators without having to tie up a real machine. But its not true, the Mansons didn't come out until after the war was over.

Paul T.
Power Technology

OK I admit I can have sick thoughts at times, but I was looking at those pics and caught myself wondering "I wonder what sort of noise it makes when the toolpost runs into the chuck?"

I have messed with the Manson lathe. This guy had gotten one,and the spindle's ball bearings were bad. He couldn't get the spindle out,and brought it to me. I got it out by running liquid nitrogen through its bore. There was no way at all to adjust the bearings,and the spindle was a VERY thin steel tube. Many of the parts,like the whole carriage and tailstock were aluminum. I doubt if the little lathe would do much work at all. A unimat would have been MUCH more rigid and powerful than the Manson. But,they sure are cute!!:)

Back