What's new
What's new

Power hammer to be restored

josv

Aluminum
Yesterday I bought a new addition for my smithy in the making. Its a spring hammer that is in need of a full restoration. It seems to be of Dutch manufacture by a firm called M.A. Fonville and either the machine or the factory is named "De Utrecht". Google has not much to offer on this. The cone clutch does not seem to have any lining, the bearings are one piece cast iron with oil rings. As I am working on a number of other projects (as most of us) it will take a while before I start working on it but I will post with progress. More pictures can be found here https://picasaweb.google.com/jos5414/BlacksmithEquipment

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 2,755
  • 008.jpg
    008.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 10,419
  • 010.jpg
    010.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 20,000
Last edited:
Hi Jos
Interesting machine you have there. Thanks for posting.

I would like to know what the machine is around picture number 14 in your album - it has a "ship's wheel" and some reduction gearing.

I also like the tall vice - that is a lovely piece of craftsmanship - looks to be blacksmith made forgings.
Steve

upsetting machine

Hello Steve,

This is an upsetting machine, primarely used for sizing the steel rims used on wooden cart wheels. The rim is clamped in and the loose half of the table ( and its clamp) can be moved by turning the large hand wheel.

Jos

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 716
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    95.8 KB · Views: 1,713
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 767
What can you tell us about the bender? in photos 11 and 12? Where and who manufactures it?

I think the bender is also of Dutch manufacture, it's marked Tarzan what turned into a generic name for these things over here. I do not know the exact maker of it. When I found it, the excentric shaft and clamp were missing so I had to fabricate those. A well known maker of a similar model is Jorg they are specializing in sheet metal working equipment but theirs are clearly marked Jorg although I have another one looking very much like a Jorg but unmarked, see picture. It has the advantage of exchangeable knifes to alter the bending radius.
Nowadays we mostly see the Chinese imitations that have half the weight and perform accordingly.

Judging by size the bar weight of the hammer will be around 35 kg/70lbs.

Jos

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 665
Last edited:
Those benders are pretty standard in europe- I have seen Italian and German models.
Here in the USA, you can buy a similar bender from Eagle- I think theirs is made in Italy.
Premiere hand powered large Radius tube/pipe roll bender

Glaser, which is a German company that makes really really nice high end blacksmithing machinery, was selling a much better german made hand bender here- but they were over 2 grand, and they probably sold about one of em. As far as I know, Glaser wasnt stocking much of anything in the USA, it was all special order from Germany.
Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet

Its interesting that this hammer is essentially a Little Giant copy- I have seen very very few Dupont linkage hammers made in Europe- mostly they adopted air hammers pretty early- before 1900- and the mechanical hammers I have seen in Europe were mostly what they call "spring hammers", which are a bit like Bradley Helve hammers.

I know that if I lived in Europe, I would be wanting a 120kg Demoor Self Contained- I just think they are pretty, the way the master cylinder is angled- they remind me of an art deco steam locomotive.

Curiously enough, there are two Demoor hammers within 200 miles of me- one in Vancouver Island BC, and one near Portland Oregon. But they are very rare in the USA.
I prefer self contained air hammers to mechanicals, myself, for actually working with.

If I could have any hammer in the world, though, I might like this one-
Argentina, about 1910 or so-

The other company like Glaser is Hebo, also German.
I have one of their twisting machines.
Kunstschmiede - hebö

Attachments

• steamhammer.jpg
    steamhammer.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 774

Back