What's new

Simplex Portable Crane

Andy FitzGibbon

Diamond
I just picked up this Simplex crane at a local machine shop auction for $75:

simplex01.JPG

simplex02.JPG

simplex03.JPG

It's in pretty good shape, though the color may have to go. I already have a similar (newer) Hill-Acme crane, but this one is smaller and easier to maneuver around the shop. Plus, it's made in Cleveland, and I have a soft spot for things produced in the big mistake.
There was some other old machinery at the auction- all of it worn to pieces. I haven't seen stuff so used up in a long time. A 21" LeBlond cone head went for $50, a Steptoe 18" shaper for $22.50, and a Hendey 16" cone head for around $500. There was also a neat old Morris radial drill that brought about $100- the bevel gear teeth on the main drive shaft had worn themselves into a saw-tooth profile.
Andy

Andy, What was it designed to lift I have never seen anything like it it looks like it was made to lift something in particular and where particular people congregate:D

Thank you.

James

Nice!

There was a post by Asquith not too long ago that featured a similar English crane. What fascinated me was the natural "grace" these little machines have, as compared to your basic Harbor Freight "hydraulic special". That crane has a sort of dignity....congratulations on your find!

Picked up a 900 lb. arbor press with it today, and it didn't sweat. I am going to call David Round tomorrow on the off chance that they can tell me what the rated capacity is.
Andy

They may refuse to and tell you to cut it up for scrap!

bet they don't want the liability.

Back