What's new
What's new

"VERY OLD" Surface Grinder

centrelathe

Plastic
Hello everyone, my names Jeff , from the UK, i"m new to this site and would appreciate some help please . A friend has just given me a very old surface grinder, he had two the same , and has given me the "Basket Case" with some bits missing, we think it dates around 1914, there are no nameplates on it except a war dept brass plate (WO. 11629), it"s got two old fashioned brass oilers on the top to feed the plain bearings, it"s hardware is BSW so everything points to it being English (maybe). I"ve been trying to upload some photo"s of it on to this site , but the site keeps rejecting them as being too large , one is 870KB and the other is 723KB, both jpg, can someone tell me what i"m doing wrong please , thank"s in anticipation Jeff Vines (centrelathe)http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpio22/3544917123/http://www.flickr.com/photos/scorpio22/3545723692/in/photostream/

Last edited:
Jeff,

The site restricts the size of site based uploads. You can use Photoshop or a free image resizing program such as Irfanview (freeware, and very good too). Or you can use a photo-hosting service such as Flickr and then place the link in your posting. Finally, if you have access to a web server, you can post your photos and place a link in the post ... incidentally, the first option is the easiest for others to see since the site will show a thumbnail picture in the post.

And you're right, for the kind of question that you are posting, photos are essential!

Tony

I"ve joined "flickr" as you suggested, will you see if it checks out your end please, regards Jeff . I"ve put 2 pic"s in .

photostream

I believe it is a 'Superior' Type V machine. I have a machine dealer's catalogue which includes one of these, described as 'new' (as opposed to secondhand), and I would guess that the catalogue dates from the late 1950s or early 1960s.

Very old surface grinder

Well i can"t use your christian name to thank you as you did not insert it, but many thank"s for your information . As i think i said the photo is identical to the one that i own, the only difference is mine is in a shocking state , having been in a wooden box (in bits) on top of a local engineering factories toilet roof , since the second world war. Is there a chance of a picture of the page that it was on please , or any more info , i would be willing to give you my e.mail address, or whatever method you liked to see it , once again many thanks , Jeff Vines (centrelathe)

Jeff,

Here you are. As you can see, the quality of the photo in the Widdowson catalogue doesn’t show much detail.

Superior02.jpg

Clickable thumbnail:-

Regards

John

Tyrone,

It does seem surprising, doesn't it? However a fair number of British firms in the 1950s were still stuck in the Edwardian era. Looking at my 1958 Buck & Hickman catalogue, some of the products were unchanged over decades, some still using the original engravings instead of photos. I don't know about machine tools for professionals, though, but if you think of amateur's machines made by Portass, say, they weren't 'state of the art' in the 1950s.

Very old surface grinder

Thank"s very much John, you"ve done me proud, and yes you are bang on the nail with the picture, the only thing that puzzles me as has been said is the "date", because it has remained in pieces since WW2, and it had a few miles under it"s belt then . Do you think the word "Superior" relates to it"s manufacturer, or it"s spec/type ? .I"d like to thank everyone else also for their interest in it"s History, and maybe with some luck there is more to come , kind regards , from a fellow engineer , Jeff , (centrelathe)

Very old surface grinder

I"ve had a tremendous response from you all (via personal e.mails) in regard to my insertion about the old surface grinder , even offers to buy it , also i"ve gained a lot of new friends from around the globe , i found this site by accident, of which i am not sorry , may you all continue to keep the spirit of engineering alive and kicking , kind regards , Jeff , (centrelathe) :cheers:

Centrelathe.

In another thread I was seeking information on a Superior drilling machine, and 'Millwright' gave me a lead to Beacon Machine Tools. Turns out they made 'Superior' surface grinders, which look like an updated version of yours:-

http://www.machinespares.net/beacon.html

The website is for Machine Spares Ltd, who have bought the manufacturing rights.

I just wunna know one thing:

Who in their right mind has a running anything (ESPECIALLY something ancient!) and gives away a perfectly good cannible?

Who?

:crazy:

---------------------

I don't suffer from mental disease
I enjoy every minute of it! :D
Ox

Back