What's new
What's new

Early Watertown NY Lathe

We found some initials and a date on the carriage of the original part of the lathe. It is stamped N M 1833. I emailed the curator of the museum in Watertown to see if the initials mean anything to her. There is also evidence that the lathe had an outer shear and that the carriage could have been moved out 3 3/4" to the outside way for turning larger work. Also note that the shears were chipped and filed to shape as there were no planers yet.

It looks like the person who chiseled the initials also used a prick punch to make a rectangle around the initials. It looks to me like there is most of a roughly equal sized rectangle punched in above that with an attempt to punch something else within it... A first attempt at the initials before getting out the chisel? other letters or numbers? a design? my imagination?

Can anyone make anything out there?

It looks like we have a good candidate for the manufacturer of our lathe with the help of Rob Lang and Jake Aigus, it is likely built by George Goulding of Watertown. Goulding started in business in 1823 making mill supplies and machinery. There is another lathe built by Goulding in the basement of the museum where we got the lathe that the curator failed to tell us about.

The lathe along with a drill press and a steam engine were saved by an employee of Bagley & Sewell Co., successors to G. Goulding, in order to preserve the history of the company and it is very likely that our lathe was part of the collection and was made by Goulding as well.

Here are some photos of the other lathe, drill and a planer made by Goulding.

Attachments

• Goulding lathe Watertown 001.jpg
    Goulding lathe Watertown 001.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Goulding drill Watertown.jpg
    Goulding drill Watertown.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 145
  • Goulding drill Watertown 2.jpg
    Goulding drill Watertown 2.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 138
  • Goulding planer Watertown 1.jpg
    Goulding planer Watertown 1.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 144
  • Goulding planer Watertown 4.jpg
    Goulding planer Watertown 4.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 148
The lathe along with a drill press and a steam engine were saved by an employee of Bagley & Sewell Co., successors to G. Goulding, in order to preserve the history of the company and it is very likely that our lathe was part of the collection and was made by Goulding as well.

This would be Clarence Kinne, who became president, in 1938, of Bagley & Sewall, formerly Goulding, Bagley & Sewall, formerly G. Goulding.
Here is a 1919 article when Clarence found the planer that is in the museum that Bill posted.

Paper. Devoted to the manufacture, sale and use ... v.23 1918-1919. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

Rob

Rob -

That is interesting. Did you notice the piece above it where George Goulding was dissolving a partnership that made 'cabinetmaking and plane making'? He seems to have had his hand in several different endeavors.

Dale

Rob -

That is interesting. Did you notice the piece above it where George Goulding was dissolving a partnership that made 'cabinetmaking and plane making'? He seems to have had his hand in several different endeavors.

Dale

Yes I did.

Here it is also in the November 11, 1846 issue, first column top of page and
when he formed the copartnership with Anderson, fifth column over toward top of the page.

Northern state journal. (Watertown, N.Y.) 1846-1849, November 11, 1846, Page 3, Image 3 - NYS Historic Newspapers

Rob

Here is George Goulding's Golden Wedding Anniversary in a newspaper article in 1874.
Quite long, second column over.

Watertown re-union. (Watertown, N.Y.) 1866-1918, February 12, 1874, Page 4, Image 4 - NYS Historic Newspapers

Rob

Rob -

Man, that was some shindig. But then 50 years is an accomplishment, especially back then. My wife and I made the same milestone the 4th of July but with what is going on had no celebration. Time flies faster than you ever think.

And being of the Presbyterian persuasion the long winded pastor in those days was true to form - at least to me!

Dale

It looks like the partnership with Anderson ended at the end of 1847.
In January of 1848 Anderson has his own business.

A very interesting Goulding ad from 1850.
Fourth column over, just below middle of column.

Northern New York journal. (Watertown, N.Y.) 1849-1866, March 20, 1850, Page 4, Image 4 - NYS Historic Newspapers

An 1853 Goulding, Bagley & Sewall ad.
Fifth column over, top of page.

Northern New York journal. (Watertown, N.Y.) 1849-1866, December 07, 1853, Page 4, Image 4 - NYS Historic Newspapers

Rob

This would be Clarence Kinne, who became president, in 1938, of Bagley & Sewall, formerly Goulding, Bagley & Sewall, formerly G. Goulding.
Here is a 1919 article when Clarence found the planer that is in the museum that Bill posted.

Paper. Devoted to the manufacture, sale and use ... v.23 1918-1919. - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library

Rob

Some nice info on Clarence Kinne.

Kinne Water Turbine Collection - ASME

Kinne Water Turbine Collection

Rob

I'm not surprised. I have seen this on other early lathes.
It looks like a "o" witness mark on the top of the quill and center for proper alignment of center.

Rob

Attachments

• early lathe 53.jpg
    early lathe 53.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 12
  • early lathe 55.jpg
    early lathe 55.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 12

Back