What's new
What's new

Fusion 360 ITAR Survey

Liberty_Machine

Aluminum
I know there's lovers and haters of Fusion 360 in this forum, both with valid opinions on the issues the software has and solves. Not trying to start a flame war or anything, just sharing this information here if it's of importance to you.
The Fusion team has opened up a survey for US (and other "Five Eyes" countries) for ITAR related feedback:
[OPEN] Fusion 360 and ITAR Compliance - Autodesk Community

I know lack of ITAR can be a huge dealbreaker for a lot of shops, so hopefully this helps nudge the needle in the proper direction!

As fusion grows I imagine we will see them work harder at making their software applicable in the highest tiers of machining regarding issues like this. None of it applies to my business currently so I have been giddy to be using such powerful software for what is pocket change in this industry.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Same here, it's been powering my shop for the last 5 years. That's two VMC's and a Doosan Lynx twin spindle. Yeah, it's got it's faults, but it's made me loads more than it's ever cost me.

This has been beat to death here and AD has publicly announced they have no intentions to pursue ITAR compliance. Most people using Fusion don't think that is a big deal but if it violates ITAR it violates pretty much any NDA's 3rd party disclosure section. Last year I sent out a memo to all of our suppliers letting them know the use of Fusion 360 and other cloud based softwares that store data on an external server is a violation or our NDA and would result in account termination with the possibility of criminal charges.

Amazon offers an ITAR compliant cloud hosting service in their AWS platform. Boeing, Saint Louis, I know, uses AWS services, and obviously, they have concerns that they wouldn't use it if it wasn't good enough for government and private audits.

I don't know why Autodesk couldn't do similar, or integrate with ITAR compliant AWS hosting. I expect it's more of an equation about cost and justification.

Amazon offers an ITAR compliant cloud hosting service in their AWS platform. Boeing, Saint Louis, I know, uses AWS services, and obviously, they have concerns that they wouldn't use it if it wasn't good enough for government and private audits.

I don't look for AWS to keep that ITAR compliance much longer. With all the Crypto-jacking they keep getting hit with has opened up their vulnerabilities. With CoinHive going under now TeamTNT are stepping up their mining scripts. Cointelegraph announced back in August that there will be another infection soon. Anybody ever looks at a java script to run a miner they can see it's stupid simple.

So thats all I want, Start modeling a part and find my systems being milked for 200% of its Graphics processing because there is 8 or so lines of script running on the server. I was playing around with the miner script on one of my political bashing websites and set the throttle to 70% using webminepool and even Solidworks took several minutes to load.

I don't know why Autodesk couldn't do similar, or integrate with ITAR compliant AWS hosting. I expect it's more of an equation about cost and justification.

I would think if Fusion wanted to be ITAR comliant it would have to offer an ITAR compliant version that saved the files to the local harddrive and didn't involve any interaction with the cloud.

I did a lot of prototype hardware design for aerospace vendors, there's zero chance any of those customers would have found it acceptable to have the CAD and CAM files on the cloud.

Keeping files secure on local harddrives is hard enough without the added complication of cloud security.

I would think if Fusion wanted to be ITAR comliant it would have to offer an ITAR compliant version that saved the files to the local harddrive and didn't involve any interaction with the cloud.

I did a lot of prototype hardware design for aerospace vendors, there's zero chance any of those customers would have found it acceptable to have the CAD and CAM files on the cloud.

Keeping files secure on local harddrives is hard enough without the added complication of cloud security.

I agree. I'm not sure how the system fully works that allows usage over the internet like that. I'd much rather just do it the old fashioned, hardware-solution, way, rather than software... but that's my own comfort, not necessarily knowledge, speaking. Let the big wig brains figure out how the computers need to work over internet. I do small work that's easy to just keep in one house. I don't need to send stuff from STL to Seattle to Chicago to whatever, on the fly.

So lets think about this....you want to check the box for the option to be ITAR compliant in fusion, how much do you think that purchase is going to cost? Will it be a per file charge? This could get interesting to say the least.
:popcorn:

Last year I sent out a memo to all of our suppliers letting them know the use of Fusion 360 and other cloud based softwares that store data on an external server is a violation or our NDA and would result in account termination with the possibility of criminal charges.

WOW, that must have put a real hurt on the cloud providers.:rolleyes5:

...I sent out a memo to all of our suppliers letting them know the use of Fusion 360 and other cloud based softwares that store data on an external server is a violation or our NDA and would result in account termination with the possibility of criminal charges.

This is long overdue. It's only a matter of time until this becomes an accepted condition of doing business.

So I assume everyone doing ITAR or who has signed NDA's only use paper drawings sent through the mail to suppliers?

I think the sticking point is "cloud" and maybe even some "internet".

If you electronically xmitt your data to you vendors with a "secure line" or some other
"off the web" type of electronic communication system, maybe your o.k.
Like using dial up.....:D

I just did an hour Q and A with a couple of fusion guys about the ITAR stuff. They are actively developing an ITAR compliant version that will only operate locally.

I just did an hour Q and A with a couple of fusion guys about the ITAR stuff. They are actively developing an ITAR compliant version that will only operate locally.
Was there any discussion on how it would differ from regular fusion? How it will receive updates, new features, etc etc?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sounds promising, like an ambitious and forward-thinking company is evaluating the market and moving in directions required/requested by their customers and would-be customers.

Can't wait to hear from members here about why they're full of shit and how they'll screw you over in the end.

Sounds promising, like an ambitious and forward-thinking company is evaluating the market and moving in directions required/requested by their customers and would-be customers.

Can't wait to hear from members here about why they're full of shit and how they'll screw you over in the end.

Can we quote this post of yours WHEN such screwing happens?

I signed an NDA to be part of the process so can't say a whole lot. Pricing was yet to be determined but I have no reason to believe it won't be in line with the rest of their pricing structure. They did a demo and it wasn't using cloud servers for file storage.

Back