What's new
What's new

make a bushing

ben80

Hot Rolled
I have to make up a couple of bushings for a lawn roller, I want brass or some metal that will wear and not wear the steel down. I plan to put fittings in it and grease it often.
I did some looking into this and they said SAE 660 Bronze would be good. I would like it to last some time with lots of grease and not not damage the steal.

Another said that Oil-lite brass or bronze would be good for this?

Thanks for any ideas on this.

ben 80

I will go to the local , metal shop and see what they have. I don't mind the machining part, will have to do some. It always comes to this, ya buy cheap, ya get cheap. But I can fix it.

thanks

I'd be surprised if you can't buy what you want from McMaster Carr. The only bronze bushing I've ever had to make is one for a WWII era airplane that called for a special alloy. The size was readily available for a few dollars from McMaster and probably would have outlasted the plane, but when working on aircraft you don't make material substitutions. For a lawn roller? No way I'd waste time making something I can buy with the loose change in my pocket.

I am a retired machines of 40 years, making auto parts and set up a hobby machine shop in the basement. Its a full shop, I was making so much money with OT I could afford it.
Keeps me tied to my roots and helps me with hobby’s , etc. Don’t mind fixing my blunder ,buying metal to fix this. LOL
I am going to McMaster Carr and ordering the metal.
Thanks for all the info, you guys are great.

ben

I forgot to ment6ion, its a 900 lb roller, I do part time mowing, etc and rolling helps me get the jobs done quicker.
I ordered the SAE 660 from McMaster Carr, price was not too bad and it won’t take much to finish. I got it with the 1 in. bore, no drilling.

Thanks again

ben

While it seems a little backward, the bearings are to support the pull frame, not the roller. Not much actual load.

These are to bearing to pull the load. The draw bars go on them. I would guess a reg. load of 450lb. each , with max up to 600 to maybe 800 lb. when loading etc.
The rods that the bearing go on , is hollow tub steel. I am going to have to put a solid steel rod thru it.
Not sure what kind of steel would best, any idea's???

ben

I've seen everything from simple steel pipe bearings with maybe a grease zerk, all the way
up to brake disc rotors and axles on these things.

It this for commercial, landscaper usage ? or "Once every springtime" ?

Use 1" cold roll bar, it should work as is in the 1" bore of your bronze. Just a slight polish, if anything to make it a really nice fit.
Any steel you have on hand would also work.

ya, its commercial, but just part time, a little extra money and it will help with my mowing ( faster mowing more profit).
I will put the cold roll steel , down the center. The brass bearings and the steel in the hollow steel , should make it last a little longer.

Thanks for all the help

ben80

Not that I am too anal about things, I use a 48" deck on a riding mower and got tired of rebuilding the shaft and rollers. So this winter I rebuilt the shaft with a piece of 4140 PH. The rollers were made out of UHMW. I made a clamp that tightens with a bolt so that just unloosen the bolt and it all slides off. We will see who wins this round.

Not that I am too anal about things, I use a 48" deck on a riding mower and got tired of rebuilding the shaft and rollers. So this winter I rebuilt the shaft with a piece of 4140 PH. The rollers were made out of UHMW. I made a clamp that tightens with a bolt so that just unloosen the bolt and it all slides off. We will see who wins this round.

Is there a chance that the steel shaft is rusting in the off season ?

Back