What's new
What's new

Doosan DNM4500 / 5700 owners

Djstorm100

Cast Iron
The base model (not the S model) do you have an issues running the spindle at max rpm for majority of it's life?

I cut mostly alum for roughing/finish it's at 12k. If doing small pockets or something where I think the machine is going to look like it is jerking, I'll lower the rpm down.

These are grease packed spindles, with oil chiller. My haas spindle was a 12k (VF2ss) however a code would unlock it for 15k. Certainly there are 100's of different types of grease but since I just mostly alum/brass the machine will spend a lot of time up at 12k.

I do not have the funds to get a S model with air/oil lube

Running at max speed should hurt it. Like everything, it has a lifespan, but I don't think you're going to kill it just by running at 12k. Abuse such as crashes and heavy broaching with the spindle locked would have me more concerned than milling aluminum at high speed.
I used to work for Doosan and most of the spindles that came in for service/rebuilding were because someone smacked a vise, or back up coolant because of the wrong pull stud, or other abuse.

Running at max speed should hurt it. Like everything, it has a lifespan, but I don't think you're going to kill it just by running at 12k. Abuse such as crashes and heavy broaching with the spindle locked would have me more concerned than milling aluminum at high speed.
I used to work for Doosan and most of the spindles that came in for service/rebuilding were because someone smacked a vise, or back up coolant because of the wrong pull stud, or other abuse.

Should hurt it or should not hurt it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I’m told that shouldn’t be at 12k for more than 30-35 minutes. To lower rpm after a tool change for a minute, then can go back up to 12k

Never heard of having to do this. My haas I didn’t but any spindle I warm up before going to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My bad typing!
Should NOT hurt it. Give it a few minutes recovery after a few hours of running, but should be ok.

Hey Douglas,

Would this also apply to the S models? I.e. should I not run my S model at 12k as well? Thoughts on running the S models are 15k for extended periods of time?

Thanks,
-S

Hey Douglas,

Would this also apply to the S models? I.e. should I not run my S model at 12k as well? Thoughts on running the S models are 15k for extended periods of time?

Thanks,
-S

running at max rpm does NOT hurt the spindle. crashing is what kills spindle bearings. overloading kills the motor windings. bearings are designed with a large factor of safety RPM wise.

I asked the Doosan factory and this is what I was told.

Paul

We are accepting 8 hours usage per day at Max RPM.

We are suggesting 80% duty RPM for continuous running.
9600 RPM average per one hour use.
You may run 24 hours with 80% duty cycle.

Just about anyone managing cell systems with aluminum parts will have evidence that running max RPM for huge amounts of time reduces spindle life measurably.

Some spindles will suffer more than others. Grease pack is typically a nightmare and has to be carefully managed. Quality of tool balancing also makes a huge difference, and has an amplified effect at higher RPMS.

IME the cost of spindle replacement is offset by productivity gains. In most environments changing spindles twice as frequently is preferable to dropping RPM and increasing cycle times by 25%.

Paul

Thanks Paul.

Paul

Hey Paul your PM inbox is full. Po place for a 5700

Hey Paul your PM inbox is full. Po place for a 5700

Thanks, empty now. Congrats! When do you get it? Contact me at [email protected] if you have questions. Ellison by you is very capable too. Here to help when you need it. What control? I ask because right now we are in the middle of transition from the Oi-Plus to the Oi-iHMI touchscreen. Does it have programmable coolant? Either way, you will like that machine.

Back