What's new
What's new

5HP DC Motor wanted for '73 10EE

dieseldog105

Plastic
Hey all, Looking for good used 5hp motor for my '73. All the guts are original in my machine and in working order. It sits around alot, ran great one day and poof. Now they say it needs a rewind. Let me know what you have.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you decide to install a Vfd I have a 3hp inverter duty motor with the gearbox mated to it.It was on a 68 ee I had a few years back.It was in pretty rough shape mechanically when I got it,but I changed it over anyway.The motor and gearbox are fine.This was the 4000 rpm model though.The motor is 3300 rpm 220 3 phase.

Motor rewinding is an expensive ordeal. I still don't know what "motor" you are talking about. IN a MG setup there is a DC spindle drive motor, an AC 3-Phase motor driving an inline DC generator and belt driven "exciter" DC generator. In my experience the going rates to rewind / rebuild a motor is probably $2-3K. Still WAY NOT enough information to make any sensible conclusions. So I say again, a MG 10EE has 1 DC Spindle motor, 1 AC 3-phase generator drive motor, and 2 DC generators.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, a 5HP DC spindle drive motor would not have 8 wires coming out of it......sounds more like the MG unit?

View attachment 339419
10ee
ge 5hp machine tool duty
it has 8 wires coming out of it.
whats the going rate for a rewind?

He likely has a modular drive machine with 5hp GE Kinematic spindle motor, those machines generally only have 2 motors- spindle motor and coolant motor, there are no Generators in Modular drive machines.

The spindle motor will likely have leads A1/A2 for the Armature, S1/S2 for the Series Field and F1/F2/F3/F4 for the Shunt Field, usually connected in pairs because the Shunt field is 115/230V.

Colt45 is correct. Thanks Cal, Tim's got good used ones for 500. The local shop here said 2100 for a twist. But, I think Tim sold me on his ac conversion setup. J/k I'd never go tubeless... Thanks again!

I have a 5HP GE motor that is gathering dust. It came from a 70's modular that Al Sharon converted to 3-phase. I would sell it for $300 plus shipping. Price includes palletizing/crating. I have another 5HP motor available as well.

Back