What's new
What's new

Coolant Sump Vacuums/Cleaning Methods

Alloy Mcgraw

Titanium
Looking to upgrade our process for changing over coolant sumps.

Our current methods suck, and induce thoughts of suicide. I have 8 machines, 4 of which have 100+ gallon tanks.

We are shopping coolant sump vacuums, and would like to hear what you kind fellers are currently using with some level of success. Thinking of a budget of up to $3k on this. But I'm open to all suggestions if the solution is right.

We have a rep that has come in for a short demo with a 55 gallon drum/venturi style. But wasn't completely sold on it.

Some of our coolant tanks have hard to reach compartments, and require a flexible hose. One would have to be a contortionist in some spots, and none of us are getting any younger or more flexible.

Our current method is vac the tank with a wet vac, shovel chips, vac again, rinse/scrub with safe cleaner, wipe clean, refill.

Our waste coolant/oil needs to be shuttled to another storage tank that awaits pickup about once a year. So pumping it in that is also a consideration.

Appreciate any input.

Our coolant rep offers a tank cleaning service. He comes in after we leave for the day and his team works throughout the night.
If we have to do it ourselves, we have one of those drum vac things that is basically a venturi connected to an empty drum and sucks out the coolant.

We have a Chip Trapper and like it.

It probably isn't as nice to use as a real vac but it's good enough for our 4 machines. I have a number of parts that create chips that are impossible to keep out of the tank. I can suck the chips and coolant out and through the filter bag then pump the clean coolant back into the tank.

Unloading can be an issue if you need to precisely turn off the flow out of the unit.

I would recommend you look into it as it should be well below your budget.

another plus one for the freddy, if the coolant is good and all you want to do is remove the swarf you can pump it back in to the machine afterwards with it, ours does like 50ltrs in under 2 minutes, but I think they do larger ones too

We have a Chip Trapper and like it.

It probably isn't as nice to use as a real vac but it's good enough for our 4 machines. I have a number of parts that create chips that are impossible to keep out of the tank. I can suck the chips and coolant out and through the filter bag then pump the clean coolant back into the tank.

Unloading can be an issue if you need to precisely turn off the flow out of the unit.

I would recommend you look into it as it should be well below your budget.

Thank you for the suggestion, haven't seen these so will check them out.

Appreciate the other suggestions as well.

Uhh... I'm just gonna suggest this... No idea if it's in budget or not... But it does what you want, efficiently, and at an industrial scale.

Industrial Vacuum, Wet-Dry, Extra Heavy Duty, Chip/Coolant Recovery, w/Triple Motors | Metal Chips | Goodway

This is who we were looking at before posting. These look pretty nice, a little on the expensive side.

They are in my home state, might give them a call or see if we can visit their facility.

Was posting to see what else was out there before we did so.

Not a vacuum, but those air-powered, coolant circulator/cleaning thing-a-ma-jigs are effective at removing lube oil and fines from your coolant, and returning it back to the coolant tank fresh.

You might want to consider adding those to each machine, to prolong coolant life and the inevitable full-tank cleanout.

ToolCat

This is who we were looking at before posting. These look pretty nice, a little on the expensive side.

They are in my home state, might give them a call or see if we can visit their facility.

Was posting to see what else was out there before we did so.

All I know is I've never heard a complaint out of the guys that use 'em.

All I know is I've never heard a complaint out of the guys that use 'em.

Any complaints from the guys that pay for them?...Jokes.

We had planned on calling them and inviting them in/going to look at them to see what solution fits best for our needs. Looks like a solid contender.

Labor being our short coming, a solution that would minimize headaches and man hours is worth a few extra bucks in our case.

Appreciate it.

Trying to be patient and I dont want to break the rules but I would be doing this thread a disservice if I dont mention this...

Tool Holders, Collets and Machine Accessories Coolant Skimmers / Sump Cleaners - MariTool

It connects to shop air and sucks like crazy. Had a pile of chips in the sump and did a great job of sucking out the chips and putting the same coolant ( filtered) back in the machine.

Appreciate your posting, wasn't aware you sold such a thang.

Any complaints from the guys that pay for them?...Jokes.

We had planned on calling them and inviting them in/going to look at them to see what solution fits best for our needs. Looks like a solid contender.

Labor being our short coming, a solution that would minimize headaches and man hours is worth a few extra bucks in our case.

Appreciate it.

If you've ever read any Douglas Adams, that's what I would classify as SEP... Somebody Else's Problem :D

For those with the Freddy - does it also separate the oil? I was looking at the Freddy Ecovac. The brochure doesn't mention anything about being able to separate the oil from the coolant. The sales guy says it does.

For those with the Freddy - does it also separate the oil? I was looking at the Freddy Ecovac. The brochure doesn't mention anything about being able to separate the oil from the coolant. The sales guy says it does.
Ours does not. It just has a large bag filter that captures the metal particles and some oil. We run Nexjen skimmers on every machine though, so the amount of oil in our tanks is negligible at best.

Back