What's new
What's new

Looking for a Die Cast Manufacturer. Any ideas?

shufro

Aluminum
Hi everyone,
I'm looking to have a metalic, wedge shaped product made. The wedge has indentations in the middle and each product needs to have varying angles as in 2°, 3°, 4° etc. I think this is going to necessitate the creation of a die and mass produced using casting. I've been unable to find a manufacturer yet to help me with it. I'm in SoCal but open to others out of state. Any help would be appreciated.

Hi everyone,
I'm looking to have a metalic, wedge shaped product made. The wedge has indentations in the middle and each product needs to have varying angles as in 2°, 3°, 4° etc. I think this is going to necessitate the creation of a die and mass produced using casting. I've been unable to find a manufacturer yet to help me with it. I'm in SoCal but open to others out of state. Any help would be appreciated.
I caught a fish...it was this big.

QT: (needs to have varying angles as in 2°, 3°, 4° etc.)
Having varying angles it likely needs to be an assembly of sorts or individual things for each angle.

Often a wood model is made for a casting shop to use.

It is often a good idea to make a wood model to be sure your idea is functional ..and prove the final design.

You might call on a foundry if you know what you want to make and they may give advice on the best way to make it. but they won't help design it from scratch.

Last edited:
QT: (needs to have varying angles as in 2°, 3°, 4° etc.)
Having varying angles it likely needs to be an assembly of sorts or individual things for each angle.
I think he means that it is a series of wedge-shaped products. As in there's a version that's 2 deg, a variation that's 3 deg, etc.

To the OP: If you do not have a CAD model or detailed drawing, I will second what michiganbuck said - you might want to make a pattern yourself and bring it to the shop for them to replicate.

I googled "die casting shops southern california" and about a dozen places popped up. How many places have you contacted? Are you just looking for a manufacturer or someone to help with R&D?

Are you an established business with existing product line or just starting out? If you aren't a known name yet you might have to give $$$ up front in order to get a bite. I'm sure a lot of places don't want to contract with someone doing something experimental and have it fail, and be out the time and money for making the dies and producing the product.

Depending on complexity, could it also be something to be machined? You could put up a print with an RFQ on the appropriate section of this forum.

Just a note on terminology. The factories or shops that make a product that you design, brand, market and sell are not the manufacturer. If this is your product, you are the manufacturer. In another industry (sewn products), we go through this all the time. Designer-entrepeneurs start looking for "manufacturers" to make their garments, wallets, or what-have-you. Lesson #1: the d-e is the manufacturer, and they should be looking for a sewing factory.

What kind of volumes do you expect to sell? Are there thin walls required? Smoothness and tolerances required? Maybe sand casting or a "permanent mold" casting is a better option. Or machined from solid as suggested above.
Of the casting processes die casting will get you the smoothest finish and cheapest casting price in high volume. But BY FAR the highest tooling cost. It also typically requires consistent and fairly thin walls which may require major design changes. Permanent mold is next highest in tooling costs and will typically give you a better finish than sand but may or may not be a cheaper than sand cast made in an automatic molding machine like a Hunter or Sinto. Sand casting pricing will vary depending on volume and complexity of the part. Typically however to get cheaper higher volume parts will require relatively more expensive tooling.

Back