What's new
What's new

Indexable drill into ER32 chuck?

drummerdimitri

Plastic
I would like to test out an indexable drill to make flat bottom holes with my mag drill, however the smallest shank diameter I could find was 20 mm which is at the limit of what an ER32 collet chuck can clamp down.

Given that there is a flat spot on those types of drills, would I be able to clamp it down in the ER32 collet chuck without damaging the collet or the tool?

If there is a better way of getting a flat bottomed hole with a mag drill, I am all ears!

Most/many toolmakers take a right size common 2 flute drill and grind it flat-bottom on a bench grinder and then back off the heal at about 10* clearance up to the edge. Trying to start a flat drill is like trying to start an end mill. it just doesn't work.

First drilling the hole to depth with a pointed drill to the desired depth, considering the depth of the point will be added to the flat bottom hole.

Last edited:
I would like to test out an indexable drill to make flat bottom holes with my mag drill, however the smallest shank diameter I could find was 20 mm which is at the limit of what an ER32 collet chuck can clamp down.

Given that there is a flat spot on those types of drills, would I be able to clamp it down in the ER32 collet chuck without damaging the collet or the tool?

If there is a better way of getting a flat bottomed hole with a mag drill, I am all ears!
Doo you need "Flat bottom Holes" all the way down ?

No ? then drill with what does work, switch to flat bottom drill to make it a "Flat Bottom".

Last edited:
I think the ER 32 chuck is not highly suitable for heavy-duty drilling, a Weldon shank or the like with having a flat or key is much better suited.
Collects are best served by holding a round shank of the correct diameter for the particular collet.
You likely you would be better served to tell the size of the drill and the condition of the operation.

Flat bottom drills may start a hole when held in a mill or the like, but likely would not start a hole when held in a mag drill.

REF:https://www.carbideanddiamondtooling.com/Flat-Bottom-Drill-Indexable-Carbide-Insert-Section

A mag drill has a relatively wobbly spindle compared to a mill spindle. You didn't mention the hole size, but if it is in the range of spade drills as made by Allied Machine then that's the way I'd go. Use a pointed insert to start the hole and finish with a flat bottom insert which can be changed out via one screw. Spade drills will survive chatter and other poor drilling conditions that will destroy carbide inserts in seconds and often take the drill body with it when they go.

Back