What's new
What's new

Husband passed away and looking for value of South Bend Lathe

pjnelson

Aluminum
Grizzly recommended this site for me to reach out for info. My husband passed away and I will be selling his equipment. He has a south bend lathe with attachments. The values on e-bay very from 2,000 to 9,000. How do I set the right price. South bend lathe 14, Serial number 8146RKL14. Thank you

Thank you all for your replies. I haven't used a forums for forgive me if I am not responding properly. I live in Benton Harbor, MI (lower SW MI near the lake... across from Chicago) I will post some pictures tomorrow:)

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss. There are many here that will be able to help with pricing. Pictures are worth so much to help detirmine things. If you were able to take some of what is there that will really help a lot.

Sorry about your loss. There are a lot of factors when determining value of used machinery, one of them being your location. Possibly a moderator can move this thread to the South Bend section as the people that frequent that section are the experts on things South Bend.

Sorry about your loss. There are a lot of factors when determining value of used machinery, one of them being your location. Possibly a moderator can move this thread to the South Bend section as the people that frequent that section are the experts on things South Bend.
Thanks, I will post some pictures tomorrow. Appreciate it:)

I live in Benton Harbor, MI (lower SW MI near the lake... across from Chicago)

I am sorry for your loss. The value of a old machine tool depends on a great many factors. Some of which are:

1. Location. Where you are in the upper mid west I would expect prices are lower than in the south or west as due to your surroundings previously being a manufacturing hub, the supply of old machines is higher.

2. Condition. Most 70 year old machines have a lot of wear on them but some were lightly used so are worth a lot more. The machine may just look to you like a greasy mess but could be a gem. It could also be worn out junk. You would need someone knowledgeable to inspect it to assess condition.

3. Tooling. There are lots of extra add on items that can be very valuable by themself. Often an owner of a lathe may have more money invested in tooling than they spent to buy the lathe. A lathe typically comes with a handful of these items. Additional fixtures and tooling can be sold separately to get more money. Someone knowledgeable but uninterested in purchasing needs to look over what you have. Then you need to decide how much time you are interested in investing to get max value as it is a lot of work to sell say 30-50 individual tools. Even using Ebay you have to price and list everything and then pack and ship it. Maybe it is better for you to sell everything to one buyer even though you will get less that way.

4. Time. If you want it gone right away you may need to take less. If you are in no hurry you can start a little high and come down a little every month until it is sold. Are you willing to have multiple men you don't know come to your house to look at it? There are companies that buy and sell lathes but of course the pay wholesale prices which are half of full market value as they have to move it, store it, advertise to find a buyer, and make a profit.

Ideally you find someone local who is trustworthy and knowledgeable who can come look at what you have and give advice on the local market for a lathe as a hobby lathe is too costly to ship.These things are usually sold to someone within less than a 2 hour drive.

Perhaps also worth mentioning; if you can, avoid selling parts piecemeal, is real easy for someone to come in, buy off just a few parts and quickly reduce the value of the lathe. Ideally a serious buyer will take the the machine and all its related bits, if reasonably priced.

Concur on the local buyer. I helped out in a similar situation some years ago, consulting by emailed pics to assist in sorting the various pieces. We got all the lathe stuff gathered together, broke out the measuring equipment into separate lots etc.

Also worth establishing if and how the buyer is prepared to move the machine. A 10L isn't really heavy but its beyond one guy trying to pick it up and stuff it in the backseat of his car. A 10L needs about 2 or 3 strong folks and wrenches and pickup truck of some kind or maybe a van. More than that if its at least a step or two below grade.

I am sorry for your loss. The value of a old machine tool depends on a great many factors. Some of which are:

1. Location. Where you are in the upper mid west I would expect prices are lower than in the south or west as due to your surroundings previously being a manufacturing hub, the supply of old machines is higher.

2. Condition. Most 70 year old machines have a lot of wear on them but some were lightly used so are worth a lot more. The machine may just look to you like a greasy mess but could be a gem. It could also be worn out junk. You would need someone knowledgeable to inspect it to assess condition.

3. Tooling. There are lots of extra add on items that can be very valuable by themself. Often an owner of a lathe may have more money invested in tooling than they spent to buy the lathe. A lathe typically comes with a handful of these items. Additional fixtures and tooling can be sold separately to get more money. Someone knowledgeable but uninterested in purchasing needs to look over what you have. Then you need to decide how much time you are interested in investing to get max value as it is a lot of work to sell say 30-50 individual tools. Even using Ebay you have to price and list everything and then pack and ship it. Maybe it is better for you to sell everything to one buyer even though you will get less that way.

4. Time. If you want it gone right away you may need to take less. If you are in no hurry you can start a little high and come down a little every month until it is sold. Are you willing to have multiple men you don't know come to your house to look at it? There are companies that buy and sell lathes but of course the pay wholesale prices which are half of full market value as they have to move it, store it, advertise to find a buyer, and make a profit.

Ideally you find someone local who is trustworthy and knowledgeable who can come look at what you have and give advice on the local market for a lathe as a hobby lathe is too costly to ship.These things are usually sold to someone within less than a 2 hour drive.
Thank you for the detailed reply. I wasn't sure if I needed to clean the machine... but I will take some as is pictures:)

QT:(clean the machine.)
Picking off chips and an oil rag wiping is often good
Using spray stuff like WD or water-based cleaners can be bad for the machine.

WD on a rag is Ok followed by an oil rag wipe.

Good to avoid breathing chemicals, and getting on the skin.

Last edited:
clean the machine.
Picking off chips and an oil rag wiping is often good
Using spray stuff like WD or water-based cleaners can be bad for the machine.
Thanks, I might have some gun oil around here. He bought it about 25 years ago and did not use it much... so there is a lot of grime. I read that paste wax was good but I think I will wait and get opinions after the pictures.

Back