What's new
What's new

Help with pocket in 316

PegroProX440

Hot Rolled
I’m far from a stainless steel expert. I have a job that needs a pocket about 2.5 inches down. It’s .875 x 2.0 and has .236 radius in the corners. So that means I need to use a long 3/8 for finishing.

Material 316
Mazak 510c 40 taper

What to do….. what to do.

I had a long dapra body with a hi feed insert in it. Didn’t go well.

Last edited:
I'd probably start by drilling the corners out, then go in with an Iscar multimaster Highfeed insert(10mm) on a Carbide shank, then swap the Highfeed out for a 4flute endmill Insert and finish with multiple stepdowns, you will need to reduce the feed a lot in the corners to reduce chatter.

The Carbide shanks are pretty darn expensive though: https://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/item.aspx?cat=3102989&fnum=1414&mapp=ML&app=65&GFSTYP=M&isoD=1

Another option is to use a solid Carbide Rib mill or two to slowly mill out the pocket. nothing is going to be that nice considering the length to diameter ratio.
rib mill.png

These JJ ones are quite economical but are really designed for Hardened steel not stainless

I’m far from a stainless steel expert. I have a job that needs a pocket about 2.5 inches down. It’s .875 x 2.0 and has .236 radius in the corners. So that means I need to use a long 3/8 for finishing.

Material 316
Mazak 510c 40 taper

What to do….. what to do.

I had a long dapra body with a hi feed insert in it. Didn’t go well.
I like to rough with a 4 flute coated endmill, 1800 rpms and keep the IPT up near the 0.0032" range. ramp in, remove the bulk then finish the corners. being that deep would be ideal with TSC.

High speed machining or High feed milling I run Dry/airblast if i'm running over 100M/min(330ft/min), If you run slower coolant is better, you can't ramp/slot in stainless without coolant in my experience.

You are probably better running slower and using coolant in this deep pocket application

Best to cut 316 with coolant. TSC thru a jet collet if your machine has it. If not, air blast in conjunction with coolant. Might get misty.

1/2" to rough and semifinish, and 3/8" to cleanup the corners.

Smack the guy who designed it with .236 rad corners.

Back