What's new
What's new

Brown & Sharpe calipers made in Germany? WTF

Jhknight

Plastic
Hello everyone,
I’ve been reading post from here for many years but have never posted.
My name is Jason K. I’ve been a machinist for over 25 years and I’m a die hard B&S man. I thought I had used, seen or at least hear of most every Metrology instrument out there, but this one has me stumped. I recently purchased a set of Brown & Sharpe vernier calipers off eBay. The posting said they were a set of 25” vernier calibers and they were in great shape for a decent price so I bought them. They arrived a few days later and I couldn’t believe my eyes. They turned out to be Brown & Sharpe 50”! Thing is I’ve never heard of a 50” by B&S. What struck me as odd is they are model # 570’s, but doesn’t have the rest of the numbers. Usually it is a 570-xx- xxx or something to that effect. And the thing that threw me for a loop is that underneath the 570 it says made in Germany and I have never heard of a Brown & Sharpe tool being made in Germany. I have scoured the Internet and talked to every smart person I know, and no one can tell me anything.
I’m dying to find out anything I can about these and if anybody could help me out that would be awesome! Thanks guys

ps. I tried to post some pics but it keeps telling my my files are to large and that sucks because they are quite beautiful and would love to show them off!

****Update: I’ve uploaded a media file album and made it so anyone could view it that has the pictures in it ****

Last edited:
ps. I tried to post some pics but it keeps telling my my files are to large and that sucks because they are quite beautiful and would love to show them off!

Put the photos on a PC. Open Microsoft Paint. In the upper left corner when you have opened the picture there will be a "Resize" icon. Click that and then select the "Maintain Aspect Ratio" box. Select the "Pixels" radio button. One of the numbers will be bigger than the other depending on whether it is taken portrait or landscape. Make the larger number like 1080 or 1280. Then save as a .jpg altering the name with like a 'small' or something so you don't overwrite the original.

Normal phone pictures are like 4mb and that's way too big. That resize should shrink it to a more usable size. Takes like 20 seconds.

QT OP: ps. I tried to post some pics but it keeps telling my files are to large and that sucks .

*One photo can easily be placed in your Avtar..you can change it later to show off your surface grinder.
Buck

Just resize the pix before posting. I use the unfortunately named gimp app on my Linux box.

I bought a dial indicator of Brown and Sharpe make for the reason that it was made in Germany lol. Don't want no Chinese crap. Stay away from their telescoping gauges, a pair of Fowlers were better.

I would take German made over just about any country I could think of.

My B&S calipers are Swiss made and I have rarely used them, so like brand new..
Just changed the battery.. I think the first battery change.
They check with 5 and zero in the tenth place.

My old Helios Slide Verniers are still good for .002 or so.

Last edited:
I have a very large (maybe 24") outside caliper that is B&S and made in England.

Anything in the tool line made in Germany will be quality in my experience.
Regards Tyrone.
Thanks Tyrone,
Yes I agree Strongly. And all my ears nothing out of used from Germany was of poor quality. These 50”s are of some of the best quality calibers I’ve ever seen.

Back