What's new
What's new

What model K&T dividing head do I have?

Guys, The previous owner obviously did some work to this thing. Can someone take a picture of the front of their dividing head (obviously if you have the model K), so I can see how the sector arms lock in place, and see how the 1:1 ratio gear interacts with the 5:1?

IMG_7541.JPGIMG_7540.JPG

Guys, The previous owner obviously did some work to this thing. Can someone take a picture of the front of their dividing head (obviously if you have the model K), so I can see how the sector arms lock in place, and see how the 1:1 ratio gear interacts with the 5:1?

View attachment 378731View attachment 378732
They don't lock in place. The pair of arms can be locked to each other at whatever angle they (as an assembly) need to be, but they must remain free to be turned to suit whatever indexing is being done with "left over holes"

As far as the other issue - the Crank turns the spindle with a 5 to 1 ratio - while the input shaft on the back down low turns the spindle at a 40 to 1 ratio

Last edited:
They don't lock in place. The pair of arms can be locked to each other at whatever angle they (as an assembly) need to be, but they must remain free to be turned to suit whatever indexing is being done with "left over holes"

As far as the other issue - the Crank turns the spindle with a 5 to 1 ratio - while the input shaft on the back down low turns the spindle at a 40 to 1 ratio
The input shaft seems to be turning the index plates. Also, want to see a picture of what locks the arms together, as mine is missing

The input shaft seems to be turning the index plates. Also, want to see a picture of what locks the arms together, as mine is missing
Screw #14 binds the two arms together at whatever angle is needed. Split ring clamp 19 in back keeps the plate from turning

Attachments

• KT DH Arms.jpg
    KT DH Arms.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 8
I was able to start disassembly of the dividing head and I have a question.

This Reservoir was filled with chips and grease. Is there supposed to be some sort of gasket or wiper in it?
09C0F104-C06C-4FD4-AA04-A5D0F7BBC15C.jpeg

This seemed to be attached to the casting. Is it supposed to be there? If so, what is it and what’s it supposed to do?
99CCB678-E187-4617-B076-27520DA8D5BD.jpeg

That reservoir should not have anything but machine oil in it.. How in the world did chips get into it? That is a split adjustable worm for removing any backlash from the gears... I had one off years ago but cannot remember if there was a gasket in it or not.. Probably sealer will be sufficient if the surfaces are clean.. Someone must have run that unit with the oil holes open for chips to have entered.. Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)

That reservoir should not have anything but machine oil in it.. How in the world did chips get into it? That is a split adjustable worm for removing any backlash from the gears... I had one off years ago but cannot remember if there was a gasket in it or not.. Probably sealer will be sufficient if the surfaces are clean.. Someone must have run that unit with the oil holes open for chips to have entered.. Cheers from Louisiana.. Ramsay 1:)
Sorry, so nothing in the half ring Reservoir in picture 1?

Then that piece of cloth material in picture 2 comes out of a hole in the casting and looked like in was sitting on the worm gear. Maybe an oil transfer?

Sorry, so nothing in the half ring Reservoir in picture 1?

Then that piece of cloth material in picture 2 comes out of a hole in the casting and looked like in was sitting on the worm gear. Maybe an oil transfer?
Is that part of an oil wick ? I wish I had a breakdown of that unit but I do not... Ramsay 1:)

Wanted to ask again if anyone can take a picture of the front of their Model K dividing head? Specifically, the locking screw for the sector arms.

Wanted to ask again if anyone can take a picture of the front of their Model K dividing head? Specifically, the locking screw for the sector arms.
As per your request... Late model ten inch K head that "had" plastic handles... There are two of these screws ducked behind the crank... These screws are 180 degrees apart.

Attachments

• screw.jpg
    screw.jpg
    331.9 KB · Views: 9
  • wrench.jpg
    wrench.jpg
    478.8 KB · Views: 9

Back