What's new
What's new

American Pacemaker Serial Number Location

MyLilMule

Hot Rolled
I don't have a lot of detail, as I didn't get a chance to really look, but will have time this coming weekend, but where on an American Pacemaker was the serial number located?

I have just started volunteering at a railroad preservation society. They have a big American Pacemkaer lathe that was dropped on it's face. Broke the cross slide hand wheel and bent the lead screw. Broke one of the supports for the control lever, and bent the heck out of the control lever. There's a desire to try and find replacements, but was told we need to find the serial number or maybe the model number. There may be other things wrong with it, but no one has started taking it apart.

I know nothing about these lathes or where to find the information we need. Any help from the hive would be appreciated.

IMG_8456.jpeg

I don't have a lot of detail, as I didn't get a chance to really look, but will have time this coming weekend, but where on an American Pacemaker was the serial number located?

I have just started volunteering at a railroad preservation society. They have a big American Pacemkaer lathe that was dropped on it's face. Broke the cross slide hand wheel and bent the lead screw. Broke one of the supports for the control lever, and bent the heck out of the control lever. There's a desire to try and find replacements, but was told we need to find the serial number or maybe the model number. There may be other things wrong with it, but no one has started taking it apart.

I know nothing about these lathes or where to find the information we need. Any help from the hive would be appreciated.

View attachment 376774
See the various bulletins here - such as 16 and 20

Thanks to Greg Menke

looks like the "biggie" 20" Heavy - if so it will have EIGHT drive belts under cover. These would have top speeds of either 800, 1200 or 1600

On Edit
Bulletin 15 tells about earlier versions of the "biggie" - like 18 and 22"

Last edited:
Well, we found it. It was covered with quite the layer of grease and grime. Looks like it was made in 1953.

Although I am having a hard time finding a corresponding catalog or parts manual. Something that will give us a diagram on how to take apart the cross slide.

IMG_8762.jpeg

Well, we found it. It was covered with quite the layer of grease and grime. Looks like it was made in 1953.

Although I am having a hard time finding a corresponding catalog or parts manual. Something that will give us a diagram on how to take apart the cross slide.

View attachment 378357
Bulletin 20 in your other thread is all I know of

I think I see the nearly invisible line separating hard way and cast iron bed

View attachment 376774
The Serial Number is located just below the way on the front tailstock end of the machine.

View attachment 376774
Front VERTICAL face of front way right end is serial position. Last two digits year built. Hard ways will shift this a bit

Attachments

• ATW Serial Location.jpg
    ATW Serial Location.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

Back