What's new
What's new

Need help with Matsuura MC-500v

HalfGrain

Plastic
I am just starting out with my first CNC mill, it is a 1980 Matsuura MC-500v with a Yasnac MX-3 controller. Trying to turn on the cutter compensation and cannot figure out what parameter/setting to change. When I enter the Offset page on the controller, the Cut Comp line says G40. The manual says G40 is cutter comp off, and G41-G42 set which side of the line. Tried looking through the manuals but not having any luck. My only controller experience was with a much newer AXYZ router, so this machine is like trying to fly a UFO for me. Thanks for any help!

I am just starting out with my first CNC mill, it is a 1980 Matsuura MC-500v with a Yasnac MX-3 controller. Trying to turn on the cutter compensation and cannot figure out what parameter/setting to change. When I enter the Offset page on the controller, the Cut Comp line says G40. The manual says G40 is cutter comp off, and G41-G42 set which side of the line. Tried looking through the manuals but not having any luck. My only controller experience was with a much newer AXYZ router, so this machine is like trying to fly a UFO for me. Thanks for any help!
show us your program that has failed you.
I have a 1986-7 matt. it has a MX2 control

show us your program that has failed you.
I have a 1986-7 matt. it has a MX2 control
I am not even able to write a program, no access to tool offsets. The manual shows much more on the screen than what is coming up for me. I followed the manual verbatim but something is just not right. Haven't been able to get the btr to talk to my computer either, working on that this week.

Your machine should have a couple of pushbuttons for setting tool length offsets? Your post says that the machine powers on and you want to set cutter comp. But there's a lot of steps between here and there. Does it home? Tool change? Can you type in and run a simple program? You can put in fake offsets, fake G54 origin, and run a program in air. You don't need to measure anything to do that. Not sure what procedure you are trying to follow from the manual.

I have a similar machine and it's been very good to me. But there was a lot to learn...

Your machine should have a couple of pushbuttons for setting tool length offsets? Your post says that the machine powers on and you want to set cutter comp. But there's a lot of steps between here and there. Does it home? Tool change? Can you type in and run a simple program? You can put in fake offsets, fake G54 origin, and run a program in air. You don't need to measure anything to do that. Not sure what procedure you are trying to follow from the manual.

I have a similar machine and it's been very good to me. But there was a lot to learn...
The machine homes, tool changes, and I have run some very simple facing/drilling programs. The current program I would like to get running is a spiral down boring program. Trying to use G15, but to write that I need to call out what tool and the offsets for that tool. I have an H input for length, but no D. The manual shows a D (Tool radius compensation number), but on the machine I have nothing.

I have no knowledge of G15. On my MX1, the H and D values occupy the same offset memory locations. So D1 and H1 refer to the same offset, but it will be interpreted as a length offset if H1 and as a radius compensation if D1. So I use H1 and D51 for tool #1, H2 and D52 for tool #2, etc.

I am not sure(2nd coffee,I am in house macheen in barn) but i recall thread milling single point like,I could not get comp to work, used G91 and repeat to complete project/job.
this is again, I am not sure.
Don't give up,keep at us!!
Gw

This is a bit off but you have the same machine I have and you could actually help me in a massive way - I lost my Parameters and Methods does not have them and neither does the pervious owner. The only ones I have are from a V2 but no good. Would you be willing to share your parameters with me so I can use yours. I cant tell you how much this will help. I also can help you running the machine - that is easy after I get mine back alive - just facetime you and show you on mine while you do yours. the best is hands on.

Had the pleasure of using that exact machine once apon a time. Had to program using G92. The standard G54-59 WCO was a paid option when those things came out...yikes. You need to write a simple program to start. Comp is turned on at the point that it is being used in the program and back off after toolpath completion.

The machine homes, tool changes, and I have run some very simple facing/drilling programs. The current program I would like to get running is a spiral down boring program. Trying to use G15, but to write that I need to call out what tool and the offsets for that tool. I have an H input for length, but no D. The manual shows a D (Tool radius compensation number), but on the machine I have nothing.
Sorry to say G15 is not going to run. I'm fairly certain. Alot of codes/features that are standard today either did not exist or where paid options. G13 G15 etc.. were proprietary Fanuc codes back in the day. If you need to helical bore you can long hand it.

Sorry to say G15 is not going to run. I'm fairly certain. Alot of codes/features that are standard today either did not exist or where paid options. G13 G15 etc.. were proprietary Fanuc codes back in the day. If you need to helical bore you can long hand it.
G15 works very well

Thanks for the help everyone, I forgot I posted this a while back. Got the machine sorted out and running well now. Just received a new 440 memex btr and am getting that running. Extremely impressed with how the machine cuts and accuracy so far.

Back