What's new
What's new

Inherited Hendey 12x36 Gearhead

Dreadnought_T5

Plastic
Hello Everyone,

I inherited my father's Gearhead a few years ago, serial number 29925. Looks to be an 18 speed with BB spindle bearings. I've heard the bearings are quite pricey to replace, not quite sure of the condition or longevity of the ball vs. taper bearings. They may be fine, but haven't checked the runout of them yet (the lathe has been in storage up to this point).

For the life of me, I cannot find documentation on the tailstock taper. It looks to be MT3, but can anyone confirm?

Johnoder, Thank you for providing the 1940 Op Manual in other threads. It's been a great resource.

Hendeyman, I would be in your debt if you had any information on the history of this machine. My grandfather procured it from somewhere after the war. He started his machine shop sometime in 1946, then later my father ran it. Fate would take me in a slightly different direction, but definitely feel a connection to this machine (and his Series I Bridgeport). Just recently acquired some space to put them both back into service, and hopefully teach my children a few things on them as the years go on.

I've been watching several overhaul / reconditioning threads here, and I'm anxious to start down a similar path with mine. I'll post pictures once I have my shop space set up.

Thank you, and take care,

Dreadnought

Hello Everyone,

I inherited my father's Gearhead a few years ago, serial number 29925. Looks to be an 18 speed with BB spindle bearings. I've heard the bearings are quite pricey to replace, not quite sure of the condition or longevity of the ball vs. taper bearings. They may be fine, but haven't checked the runout of them yet (the lathe has been in storage up to this point).

For the life of me, I cannot find documentation on the tailstock taper. It looks to be MT3, but can anyone confirm?

Johnoder, Thank you for providing the 1940 Op Manual in other threads. It's been a great resource.

Hendeyman, I would be in your debt if you had any information on the history of this machine. My grandfather procured it from somewhere after the war. He started his machine shop sometime in 1946, then later my father ran it. Fate would take me in a slightly different direction, but definitely feel a connection to this machine (and his Series I Bridgeport). Just recently acquired some space to put them both back into service, and hopefully teach my children a few things on them as the years go on.

I've been watching several overhaul / reconditioning threads here, and I'm anxious to start down a similar path with mine. I'll post pictures once I have my shop space set up.

Dreadnought
1938 catalog says #3 - which is lucky if true since they used to dabble in their own ideas of tapers - like the attachments

"For the life of me, I cannot find documentation on the tailstock taper. It looks to be MT3, but can anyone confirm?"

Attachments

• Hendey_Tapers_Page_1.jpg
    Hendey_Tapers_Page_1.jpg
    121.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Hendey-Tapers2.jpg
    Hendey-Tapers2.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Thank you very much, sir! Those are great drawings. I'll slap an MT3 into the tailstock and see how it fits. I'll measure the dead center as well and see if it conforms. It'd great to be able to use some standardized and commonly available tooling.

Thank you very much, sir! Those are great drawings. I'll slap an MT3 into the tailstock and see how it fits. I'll measure the dead center as well and see if it conforms. It'd great to be able to use some standardized and commonly available tooling.
Do note taper hole in spindle will be fitted with a "sleeve" that fits in the spindle and houses a dead center. Member hendeyman will have the drawing of that sleeve for your serial number. Doing this is what allowed makers to have both matching centers but also a good size spindle bore

Last edited:
Hello Everyone,

Dreadnought

Dreadnought:

Hendey lathe No. 29925, a 12" x 30", 18 Speed Geared Head model, was completed on December 31, 1938. The following
information was taken from the original Order Form. Any information in parenthesis is my addendum.

Date Ordered - November 10, 1938
Date Started - November 17, 1938
Sold to - Talen, Inc., Meadville, Pennsylvania
Via - Erie Railroad
Description - 12" x 30" - 18 speed Geared Head Lathe CR (Compound Rest) - To swing 14-1/2"
Oil Pan
Regular Equipment (as shown in catalog)
Ball Bearings on Main Spindle - Multiple splined shafts
Cam Lock type flanged spindle nose
Spindle speeds - 19 to 1000 R.P.M.
High Speed Reversing Mechanism
Taper Attachment
Drawing-in attachment and set of 15 #6 collets from 1/8" to 1" inclusive by 16ths complete with cabinet
New Style Follow Rest (Bridge Type)
Furnish and Fit Cushman 10" 4 jaw independent chuck #10214D6
Furnish and Fit Cushman 6" 3 jaw universal chuck #6236D6
Furnish and Fit Jacobs #14-S super ball bearing drill chuck
Arranged for Vee belt connected motor drive with motor in cabinet leg
Furnish and Fit General Electric ball bearing motor, 3 HP, 220 Volts, 3 Phase, 60 cycles, 1200 RPM,
type K, frame 254; together with CR-7009-B20A reversing magnetic starter
Furnish and Fit Hendey push button for reversing service built into gear box

There are still a few Patterns, Castings and Repair parts left in inventory for this lathe. All of the original drawings are still
in the files, so parts can be made if required. Please note that your Spindle Nose has a No.5 Morse Taper and will require
a reducing bushing to be able to use a No.3 Morse Taper center in the Spindle Nose.

Hendeyman

Thank you so much, Johnoder and Hendeyman! That's really neat and useful information.

I think all of the collets are here. The reversing mechanism seems to have been removed for some reason. I think I may have the handle, but the rest of the components are a bit of a mystery.

Back