What's new
What's new

Jiangdong Machine tool Turret Milling Machine HX30 info required

Spookydad

Plastic
I now have a Jiangdong HX30 milling machine and have no information about it. A google search doesn't seem to find any information but I was told that these machines were imported and resold under different badges but I don't know the names.
It is a 240v 3 phase machine using a CAT40 tool holder system. However the only holder I got with it doesn't have a pull stud and the head seems to use a traditional Bridgeport style drawbar through the top. It is a large machine and tightening the drawbar would require a ladder. There is no drawbar so I don't know if this is the correct method.
It starts up but there is a lot of flickering of the lights and arcing. I'm using an American Rotary phase converter with a separate idler motor rather than a VFD.

I have owned a genuine Bridgeport mill, LeBlond lathe, Clausing Surface grinder in the past, but had to leave them behind due to a cross country move.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20221120_083843.jpg
    IMG_20221120_083843.jpg
    804.4 KB · Views: 11
  • hx30 mill 02.jpg
    hx30 mill 02.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 10
  • hx30 mill 01.jpg
    hx30 mill 01.jpg
    256.3 KB · Views: 10
  • hx30 control panel 02.jpg
    hx30 control panel 02.jpg
    395.6 KB · Views: 10
  • hx30 control panel 01.jpg
    hx30 control panel 01.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 10
Looks like a bad contactor. It sparks and then eventually closes as the motor gets up to speed.
Several of the small glass fuses are blown and a lack of a bulb in the indicator light on the main panel 'might' be a problem.
The knee motor seems to be getting power but nothing is happening.

Ha you in fact verified it is wired for 240 volts? i recently had experience with a lathe that would run for a short time (10-15 minutes?) then the heaters would drop out the relays. The motor WAS WIRED 240 volts but had heaters for 480. Changing the heaters fixed it.
Rick

I have seen similar machines with an #40 Milling Machine or ISO 40 taper, and they often had an add on power draw bar using air or electric to avoid the need for a step ladder, but a new one, while they appear to be nice to use, would cost a fair bit I would imagine .
While I have seen one used, I have never used one myself.
A collet chuck would be helpful if tools you need for the work you are doing will fit in the collets.

Jim

Ha you in fact verified it is wired for 240 volts? i recently had experience with a lathe that would run for a short time (10-15 minutes?) then the heaters would drop out the relays. The motor WAS WIRED 240 volts but had heaters for 480. Changing the heaters fixed it.
Rick
The motor data plate says 220/380v and the orange sticker on the head says 240 volts.
However, work has been done on this machine and it is not in a stock configuration any more.
The power downfeed doesn't work.

Attachments

• hx30 head.jpg
    hx30 head.jpg
    244.1 KB · Views: 1
  • hx30 motor plate.jpg
    hx30 motor plate.jpg
    208.6 KB · Views: 1
I'm considering a full CNC conversion for this machine. The frame is about twice the size of a regular Bridgeport and should have enough rigidity.
The pulley that slides up and down depending on the speed range needs a new bushing. (I forget the correct name of it.) The two drive belts look fine, but the pulley is what is calling the clattering noise in the head. Initially I thought it might have been a loose drawbar, but there isn't one there so that can't be it.
I doubt that I will be able to find a rebuild kit for it so I will likely have to make the bushing on my South Bend lathe. This is also an auction purchase and I finally got to test it along with the mill when I got the sub panel installed in the shop.
I have done one complete teardown rebuild of a variable speed Bridgeport series one, so I have a rough idea of what work is involved.

Back