What's new
What's new

OT: Is technology slowing things down?

I don't recall the "registering to vote" process.
That was so long ago ....

But, I'm wondering if that was taken care of at the same time as registering for the draft?
One fell swoop at the local Post Office?

I would like to think that the Army doesn't want me anymore, but with the kids of today, I can likely still outdoo most of them, so ... maybe they better keep my card on file a while longer yet?
(I am sure that I would lose a texting race tho)

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Why would you not want everyone who is able to vote to vote?
One reason
You fear what they would vote for
I don't really understand the argument.
  1. Everyone want's US Citizens to vote in their country. I don't know of anyone who disagrees with that.
  2. Everyone want's individuals to fill out their vote and submit it themselves, not be the willing (because it's convenient) pawns of ballot harvesters making the rounds and "helping" people fill out their mail-order ballots for them.
Illegals who've jumped the border are not citizens, entered the country illegally. In those cases, if they find a way to vote, yes, it would be true to say anyone should be "afraid of what they would vote for." If we have people letting others talk them into / fill out their ballots, yes, we should all "be afraid of what they are voting for", because it's someone else voting for them.

Voting has been around for two hundred and fifty some odd years. It's not new. The challenges with it are not new. The relatively recent surge in "voting integrity problems" that has been fanned by the MSM has been lit on fire by warring Political parties. So I'm not going to play that game, and all of us should, for instance, decry voting law changes put in place (for instance) that didn't go through State Legislatures, but instead jammed into place willy-nilly with the camoflage of "open and available voting for everyone!" plastered all over it by executive order.

1) If you are an eligible Citizen, you can vote. If you aren't a Citizen, no voting for you.
2) If you are a legal Citizen, you can get a Driver's License. If you are an Illegal, no Driver's License for you.
3) Valid ID should be a pre-req for Voting. I need to show my Lic (as a for instance) to see my Doctor or get on a plane. So for something actually far more important like Voting, it's a no brainer and there is no excuse. If no driver's license due to the exception, a Birth Certificate would do.
4) Except in the most extenuating circumstances, IMO everyone should be voting in person, with their proof of identity and citizenship.

Just my opinion.

You have to Vet who's attempting to vote in some credible fashion. Just common sense. Set up a system that's easily gamed however, and it will be gamed. A lot of the changes in the past four years or so simply make the system weaker, and easier to game.

Are you familiar with the concept of poll tax? Since you cannot get a photo ID for free, it is a poll tax. https://mva.maryland.gov/about-mva/Pages/fees.aspx. In Maryland, the cheapest you can get an ID is $1 if you are homeless and $24 if you are not. Put that in perspective with the minimum wage. You must work 1.97 hours for the "right" to vote if you require a photo ID. Since election day is not a federal holiday, you must take time off work to vote on election day. The poorer you are, the more burdensome voting is. And since poor folk tends to vote Democrat, the GOP hates them passionately.

In conclusion, if you require a photo ID to vote, make at least one of them free, if you want people to show up at the polls on election day, make it a holiday, but the GOP will fight both measures.
I fully agree with the comment in red.
The rest - along with ALL of the comments made by Gusztáv - is partizan bullshit, and you know it!!!
Absolutely pure partizan hate mongering bullshit with no base in reality!

I fully agree with the comment in red.
The rest - along with ALL of the comments made by Gusztáv - is partizan bullshit, and you know it!!!
Absolutely pure partizan hate mongering bullshit with no base in reality!
Let's leave Guszti to his own defenses. If you think that the GOP will budge then propose a federal holiday for voting, and a free photo ID for voting, it will go over like led balloons.

Hmmm, an LED heated zeppelin?
Gotta be safer than hydrogen!
That'd be part of the new EV movement?
Heat from the LED keeps the trapped air warm and light?

Interesting!

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

If you think that the GOP will budge then propose a federal holiday for voting, and a free photo ID for voting, it will go over like led balloons.

Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean we don't agree that either a federal holiday - but ONLY for those who show proof of voting - and a free state ID should be available.
At the same time, you must also agree that carte blanche statement that a photo ID requirement is but a republican attempt at voter suppression is nothing but a partizan fear mongering aimed the unwashed idiots who believe it.
I am fairly certain that he/she who does not bother to obtain a valid photo ID also pretty much doesn't give a flying crap about voting!

I don't recall the "registering to vote" process.
That was so long ago ....

But, I'm wondering if that was taken care of at the same time as registering for the draft?
One fell swoop at the local Post Office?

I would like to think that the Army doesn't want me anymore, but with the kids of today, I can likely still outdoo most of them, so ... maybe they better keep my card on file a while longer yet?
(I am sure that I would lose a texting race tho)

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
I registered to vote in about 1973, at the neighborhood fire station, I think. I used my social security card for ID, which means I could have been "illegal" for all they would have known. But I was born in a very foreign place- Spokane Washington. Nobody used to be that worried about stuff like ID. I have relatives who carried babies across the bridge in Buffalo by foot, in about 1915 or so, and those babies died US citizens without ever showing ID. They never even had birth certificates, being born in eastern europe. I had other, Finn relatives, who just walked down from Canada, without being able to speak english, and with no money. It used to be pretty easy to become Merican.
Over the years, I knew a lot of older people who lived in cities, and never learned to drive, so they never had photo ID.

oddly enough ,if you are old enough ,you have never had to show any form of identification.....whereas a young person now has to show about 10 pieces of ID to even open a bank account..........the system here is the electoral people send me a card with my details ,and when I go to vote,I simply show this card as sufficient ID to get my name crossed off...........it appears some 100 year old law specifies how the process works,and consequently no computers ,but my name is ruled out on the electoral roll when I am given the papers.......once I have the papers I can either fill it in as prefered ,or I can write obscenities on it,or I can simply walk out with it...........either way ,I am recorded as having voted.

We should all stand firm that voting count cheating and using a government position to gain wrongful money or wrongful benefits is a very high crime.

If not then all our rights are out the window, and we will soon become China or Cuba.

So, when does the gallows crew show up in DC?

Wait, yunnow what? I'm thinkin' that I heard that they were setting those up there a cpl yrs ago.
I think that was a Non-Q leak?

--------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Who, exactly, is in favor of voting cheating or wrongful money?
In my Democrat run State, as I have said before, they rejected 20,000 votes for a bad signature match, and when my State actually did hand recounts, they have found fraudulent votes in the range of 20 bad votes per 2.5 million votes cast.
Nobody here has said they want cheating.
I think we are all pretty much in agreement on that one.
Not sure what "wrongful money" is, but I would be voting for $2 Billion from the guys who sent us the 9-11 aircraft hijackers, myself.

Perhaps not, but that doesn't mean we don't agree that either a federal holiday - but ONLY for those who show proof of voting - and a free state ID should be available.
At the same time, you must also agree that carte blanche statement that a photo ID requirement is but a republican attempt at voter suppression is nothing but a partizan fear mongering aimed the unwashed idiots who believe it.
I am fairly certain that he/she who does not bother to obtain a valid photo ID also pretty much doesn't give a flying crap about voting!
When they file lawsuits to limit voting time, it is hard to come up with rational reasons why they do it. Maybe it is just me, but it got me thinking that they only want certain people to vote.

Wrong full money, like locally getting under-the-table money to leak garbage pick-up bids so the paying cheater can take the job.
Like running out of specified grinding wheels so one's buddy can send inferior grinding wheels.
Getting side money from China manufactures, sacrificing USA jobs for pocket money.

When they file lawsuits to limit voting time, it is hard to come up with rational reasons why they do it. Maybe it is just me, but it got me thinking that they only want certain people to vote.
Again, I'm not disagreeing with the notion that a mid week-only voting day is stupid.
Making it a federal holiday is not necessarily the best idea as it shifts the cost burden onto employers, but a weekend day only, or a two day period, 1 weekend + 1 week day should be acceptable.
At the same time, the quasi perpetual voting is garbage, which the mail-in balloting seems to be as far as I am concerned.

you can get a copy of your birth certificate mailed to you for free.

Not if you were born at a USAF Base in Korea....
I don't even HAVE a birth certificate.
I have a "Certification of Birth Abroad of a National"....

Giant PITA every time I move states and need a new DL.

Back