What's new
What's new

Need THREE Rockstar Machinists for Rocket Engine Components

afeathers1

Plastic
Reaching out again as our shop has grown (also thanks to the Practical Machinist community). I'm a manufacturing engineer with Ursa Major who manufactures 3D printed rocket engines:

I work closely with the folks in the shop and it is a unique place. There are some clips of it in the videos above, but they don't do it justice. We do a lot with our four (technically 5 with millturn) spindles, and have one (technically two) more on the way:
  • DMU-85 FD
  • DMU-50
  • DMU40 Evo FD (coming off the boat early Jan.)
  • Haas VF-3
  • Haas TL-1
This shop is now moving fast. Through a combination of world-class people, software, machines, and careful selection & integration of tooling & palletized workholding we are executing a vision of the most flexible & responsive development machining capability possible. We are also starting up our first lights-out millturn production cell to support our small (5,000lb-f thrust) engine product.

Right now we are looking for more world-class folks. Each header is a link to the listing for these positions on our website. Please apply and/or reach out to me if you are interested, or if you know anyone who would be interested. The front range is a beautiful place to live, and even more exciting for hosting so much rocket engine testing.
  • Machinist Position:
    • Required Qualifications:
      • 3 years’ experience in a machining environment
      • Experience operating CNC equipment (lathe or mill)
      • Demonstrated critical thinker, experience handling parts from programming through completed machined parts
  • Senior Machinist Position:
    • Desired Qualifications:
      • 7 years experience in an aerospace machining or manufacturing environment
      • Experience with modern multi-axis CAM packages (Hypermill) & toolpath simulation
      • Experience with multi-axis & millturn machines and programming
      • Knowledge of modern high speed machining strategies and tooling
      • Experience with Titanium and high-Nickel aerospace alloys, including 3D printed or casted components
    • Desired Experience:
      • Experience in an aerospace machining environment
      • Experience with modern multi-axis CAM packages
      • Knowledge of modern high-speed machining strategies and tooling
      • Experience with Titanium and high-Nickel aerospace alloys
  • Development Shop Manager:
    • Desired Traits:
      • Demonstrated leadership experience in a fast-paced machining environment.
      • Demonstrated experience leading technical groups through improvements in efficiency and performance.
      • Must be a self-starter - able to interpret high-level organizational goals, plan and execute to those goals without low-level instruction.
      • Must be dedicated to keeping Ursa Major Technologies at the bleeding edge of manufacturing through research into the latest improvements to manufacturing precision, efficiency, and eventually automation.
      • Must be humble and able to lead a group with a variety of experience levels, from senior level to entry level.
      • 7 years experience in an aerospace machining environment.
      • 3+ years of demonstrated leadership experience.
      • Excellent communication skills across with diverse functional groups.
      • Experience with multi-axis & millturn machines and programming, either as an individual contributor or in a supervisory role.
      • Knowledge of modern machining strategies, machine tools, tooling, and CAM programming workflows.
      • Experience both development & production environments.
Benefits Include:
  • Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
  • Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
  • Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA); Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D, and EAP Program; Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport, and Pet Insurance
  • Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
  • Company stock options
Thanks and happy thanksgiving!

Has this company ever made a profit? Be good to know where all the money comes from before you move there. What happens to the employees if the investors get tired of making a small fortune in rocket engines by starting with a large one.

Ursa Major is currently venture backed, and has customers and revenue. Salaries range from $70,000 to $140,000, the postings linked list specific ranges.

Has this company ever made a profit? Be good to know where all the money comes from before you move there. What happens to the employees if the investors get tired of making a small fortune in rocket engines by starting with a large one.
Same thing as all other start ups, you end up without a job. If you had any paper from them it's suddenly worthless as well.
On the plus side, if you picked a good one you have a pile of connections to other people who still have VC money to burn, or have made it to the point of profitable.
For the past several years I've been working for companies large and small that have yet to make a profit. They've paid *much* better and been more interesting work than the established and moderately profitable ones I worked at before that. Lots of reasons to do it, low-risk stability isn't one of them.
I'd say it has some similarities to hanging your own shingle, except someone else has already made some money show up.

So, did I miss out on a scandal in the news or did you just throw pedophilia into a valid job posting.
Here we wonder why people don't desire joining this profession.

Here we wonder why people don't desire joining this profession.

Why would you wonder that ? And he's the one who felt impelled to make a mfg job into some kind of cool and groovy "rock star" thing. Why all the dumb HR crap in his post ? "Fast-paced and stressful environment ..." We know what that means. They want you to work your ass off for peanuts. Probably make more at McDonald's as an assistant manager. THAT's why people don't want to enter this trade, if you insist on wondering.

And what's wrong with underaged girls ? Good enough for Jerry Lee Lewis and Elvis and King John, good enough for me ...

What are these rocket engines used for ?
Of the engine family currently shipping to customers, we have three primary variants and uses. Our sea-level variant is designed for first-stage boost applications, the type of thing that lifts a rocket off the launchpad and into the upper atmosphere:

1670009563472.png

The major variants operate at different expansion ratios (nozzle sizes). One is for hypersonics customers and is optimized to operate at high altitude. Our vacuum variant has a printed copper thrust chamber, and (vacuum firing only) a very large refractory metal nozzle extension, which is for launch vehicle second stages that deliver payloads to their final orbit:

Post or DM if you've got more questions!

That's all very nice, but I was asking are these for putting satellites in space, or bombs into buildings ?i

That's all very nice, but I was asking are these for putting satellites in space, or bombs into buildings ?i
I read this in his last post:
Our vacuum variant has a printed copper thrust chamber, and (vacuum firing only) a very large refractory metal nozzle extension, which is for launch vehicle second stages that deliver payloads to their final orbit:

That's a good distinction, right now our customers are launching payloads to orbit (trying to go up and not come back down), and researching hypersonic flight.

Our larger engine offerings are targeted more exclusively at customers offering space launch services to low earth orbit and beyond.

The OP's company offers Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance (AD&D) so when the Rock Star machinist comes in wasted after a night of cocaine/speed/ groupies and gets wound in a lathe or mill spindle his loved ones will get paid.

Or blown up by a malfunctioning rocket motor

Reaching out again as our shop has grown (also thanks to the Practical Machinist community). I'm a manufacturing engineer with Ursa Major who manufactures 3D printed rocket engines:

I work closely with the folks in the shop and it is a unique place. There are some clips of it in the videos above, but they don't do it justice. We do a lot with our four (technically 5 with millturn) spindles, and have one (technically two) more on the way:
  • DMU-85 FD
  • DMU-50
  • DMU40 Evo FD (coming off the boat early Jan.)
  • Haas VF-3
  • Haas TL-1
This shop is now moving fast. Through a combination of world-class people, software, machines, and careful selection & integration of tooling & palletized workholding we are executing a vision of the most flexible & responsive development machining capability possible. We are also starting up our first lights-out millturn production cell to support our small (5,000lb-f thrust) engine product.

Right now we are looking for more world-class folks. Each header is a link to the listing for these positions on our website. Please apply and/or reach out to me if you are interested, or if you know anyone who would be interested. The front range is a beautiful place to live, and even more exciting for hosting so much rocket engine testing.
  • Machinist Position:
    • Required Qualifications:
      • 3 years’ experience in a machining environment
      • Experience operating CNC equipment (lathe or mill)
      • Demonstrated critical thinker, experience handling parts from programming through completed machined parts
  • Senior Machinist Position:
      • 7 years experience in an aerospace machining or manufacturing environment
      • Experience with modern multi-axis CAM packages (Hypermill) & toolpath simulation
      • Knowledge of modern high speed machining strategies and tooling
      • Experience with Titanium and high-Nickel aerospace alloys, including 3D printed or casted components
    • Desired Experience:
      • Experience in an aerospace machining environment
      • Experience with modern multi-axis CAM packages
      • Knowledge of modern high-speed machining strategies and tooling
      • Experience with Titanium and high-Nickel aerospace alloys
  • Development Shop Manager:
    • Desired Traits:
      • Demonstrated leadership experience in a fast-paced machining environment.
      • Demonstrated experience leading technical groups through improvements in efficiency and performance.
      • Must be a self-starter - able to interpret high-level organizational goals, plan and execute to those goals without low-level instruction.
      • Must be dedicated to keeping Ursa Major Technologies at the bleeding edge of manufacturing through research into the latest improvements to manufacturing precision, efficiency, and eventually automation.
      • Must be humble and able to lead a group with a variety of experience levels, from senior level to entry level.
      • 7 years experience in an aerospace machining environment.
      • 3+ years of demonstrated leadership experience.
      • Excellent communication skills across with diverse functional groups.
      • Experience with multi-axis & millturn machines and programming, either as an individual contributor or in a supervisory role.
      • Knowledge of modern machining strategies, machine tools, tooling, and CAM programming workflows.
      • Experience both development & production environments.
Benefits Include:
  • Unlimited PTO - Vacation, Sick, Personal, and Bereavement
  • Paid maternity/paternity/adoptive leave
  • Medical, Dental, and Vision Insurance; Tax Advantage Accounts (HSA/FSA); Employer Paid Short and Long Term Disability, Basic Life, AD&D, and EAP Program; Additional Benefit Options Including Voluntary Life, Emergency Medical Transport, and Pet Insurance
  • Retirement Savings Plan - Traditional 401(k) and a Roth 401(k)
  • Company stock options
Thanks and happy thanksgiving!
i interviewed with y'all about a year or so ago, and you were all so gung-ho about hiring me until i asked about company culture and if different views are welcome there, then DEAD silence, LOL!

thats a chance you take with a startup, high risk/high reward via company shares. not for everyone.

Back