What's new
What's new

Hardinge HLV Lathe

Chips Everywhere

Cast Iron
Up For Sale, local to me, Brooklyn, NY 11211. I'm not the seller, I just make a couple bucks if I help with the sale. PM for contact info.

Copy and paste from the ad:

Up for sale is a Hardinge HLV lathe. Came from an aerospace company that used it for making pin gauges.

We used it to make 5mm aluminum pins that we now make on a CNC lathe, so we no longer have no use for it since we have another manual lathe.

It's well tooled and functions like it should.

The only thing that may need a little work is the cross slide feed, it's starting to slip, can use some adjustment.

220v 3ph

Features:

-Hardinge quick change 4° taper spindle
-0-3000rpm, variable speed adjustment
-Inch gear box, can cut metric threads with additional metric gears
-MT2 tailstock taper
-5C collect closer
-Variable speed apron feed
-coolant pump and chip tray

Tooling:

-Hardinge 3 jaw chuck 5in
-Hardinge 4 jaw chuck 5in
-Hardinge 4 station Turret
-Hardinge steady rest
-Hardinge vertical slide (vertical cut off)
-Hardinge spindle nose protector
-Quick change tool post
-Live center
-Tailstock drill chuck
-Hardinge face plate
-Hardinge quick action lever slide

Asking $10,650 or best reasonable offer. Need the shop space, so make an offer. Guy on the corner can load it with a forklift for $100 onto your truck.
IMG_0663.jpg

as I posted in that other thread on this lathe, I'm willing to look at it for an out of town party, other than that guy!
will do it for free as far as my time goes, but would ask for reimbursement for my actual transportation (Uber over and back, prob. about 20-25 each way).
full disclosure, I have met the poster here. some years ago apparently he stopped by my shop, but I don't have any particular recollection of it.
I would say unequivocally there is no conflict of interest on account of that!
if you are interested respond here to indicate what you expect from the looksee (after the other guys "peculiar" requests have to say that , lol!), and if it seems reasonable, we can private message.

as I posted in that other thread on this lathe, I'm willing to look at it for an out of town party, other than that guy!
will do it for free as far as my time goes, but would ask for reimbursement for my actual transportation (Uber over and back, prob. about 20-25 each way).
full disclosure, I have met the poster here. some years ago apparently he stopped by my shop, but I don't have any particular recollection of it.
I would say unequivocally there is no conflict of interest on account of that!
if you are interested respond here to indicate what you expect from the looksee (after the other guys "peculiar" requests have to say that , lol!), and if it seems reasonable, we can private message.

Be sure to check the turn signal fluid on the tail stock. 😅

Up For Sale, local to me, Brooklyn, NY 11211. I'm not the seller, I just make a couple bucks if I help with the sale. PM for contact info.

Copy and paste from the ad:

Up for sale is a Hardinge HLV lathe. Came from an aerospace company that used it for making pin gauges.

We used it to make 5mm aluminum pins that we now make on a CNC lathe, so we no longer have no use for it since we have another manual lathe.

It's well tooled and functions like it should.

The only thing that may need a little work is the cross slide feed, it's starting to slip, can use some adjustment.

220v 3ph

Features:

-Hardinge quick change 4° taper spindle
-0-3000rpm, variable speed adjustment
-Inch gear box, can cut metric threads with additional metric gears
-MT2 tailstock taper
-5C collect closer
-Variable speed apron feed
-coolant pump and chip tray

Tooling:

-Hardinge 3 jaw chuck 5in
-Hardinge 4 jaw chuck 5in
-Hardinge 4 station Turret
-Hardinge steady rest
-Hardinge vertical slide (vertical cut off)
-Hardinge spindle nose protector
-Quick change tool post
-Live center
-Tailstock drill chuck
-Hardinge face plate
-Hardinge quick action lever slide

Asking $10,650 or best reasonable offer. Need the shop space, so make an offer. Guy on the corner can load it with a forklift for $100 onto your truck.
View attachment 378525
Bump. Price lowered. $9,750
Hi There!

My name is Andrew, and I'm the engineering lab manager at Utah Tech University. Right now I'm looking for two HLV-H's for our engineering fabrication lab, and your machine is exactly what I'm looking for. I would love to talk to the seller about it, if it's still available.

What would be the best way to connect? If you go to mech.utahtech.edu and look up the faculty, you will be able to see my contact information.

Thanks,

Andrew

Hi There!

My name is Andrew, and I'm the engineering lab manager at Utah Tech University. Right now I'm looking for two HLV-H's for our engineering fabrication lab, and your machine is exactly what I'm looking for. I would love to talk to the seller about it, if it's still available.

What would be the best way to connect? If you go to mech.utahtech.edu and look up the faculty, you will be able to see my contact information.

Thanks,

Andrew
Pm Sent

Hi There!

Thanks,

Andrew
The lathe for sale here is not an HLV-H. It is, as advertised, an HLV. It is the previous model, made between 1950 and 1960, with a 5" wide bed. In 1960, the new HLV-H was introduced with a 7" wide bed and numerous other improvements. The HLV was one of the best lathes made before 1960, but subject to wear and tear like anything that old.

Given the serial number, I could look up the build year.

Larry

Last edited:
This one is a more advanced HLV. The speed control is not a lever. The closest to a 6" model as it gets.
The only difference between this model and the HLV-H:
- bed is narrow.
- spindle stop button is on the back of the head.
- head bolts are inside casting.

This one is a more advanced HLV. The speed control is not a lever. The closest to a 6" model as it gets.
The only difference between this model and the HLV-H:
- bed is narrow.
- spindle stop button is on the back of the head.
- head bolts are inside casting.
Never heard of a 6" model. The 1960 model bed is 7" wide.

The pushbutton speed control does indicate a build date in the late 1950's.

More differences that can be seen in pictures:
1960 tailstock is completely redesigned and heavier
1960 top slide retractor is on a vertical axis

Larry

Back