What's new
What's new

Happy Holiday’s, New here and have a few questions before I pull the trigger

Eric Hazel

Plastic
I’m having a building built in April and getting back into knife making. I want a lathe mostly for small stuff but I’d like to be able to turn down 3” round stock if I want to. I found a what appears to be a very clean 10K with some tooling. 3 jaw, quick change tool, live center drill chuck, some carbide cutting tools, 5c chuck and collet set and a VFD installed for single phase delivered for $3,400.
The description says all original but I’m sure it’s been painted cause it’s pretty.
I live in Maryland near Annapolis if that helps.

I appreciate any guidance or advise.

Pics would help, including shots of ways, or surfaces that have moving parts.

Some of the accuracy of machine you will no doubt need to check and adjust after moving the machine.

In a check before purchase, how do all the controls feel ? Handwheels and such. Move tailstock quill in and out, carriage back and forth, cross slide back and forth. Is it smooothe, does it feel sloppy ? Run the motor and headstock through all its speeds, how does it sound ?

Pics would help, including shots of ways, or surfaces that have moving parts.

Some of the accuracy of machine you will no doubt need to check and adjust after moving the machine.

In a check before purchase, how do all the controls feel ? Handwheels and such. Move tailstock quill in and out, carriage back and forth, cross slide back and forth. Is it smooothe, does it feel sloppy ? Run the motor and headstock through all its speeds, how does it sound ?
thanks for replying. Unfortunately this is an online sale through Machine inventory.com so I can’t put my hands on it first hand.
This purchase isn’t a “must have” at the moment so if I should wait, I can.

thanks for replying. Unfortunately this is an online sale through Machine inventory.com so I can’t put my hands on it first hand.
This purchase isn’t a “must have” at the moment so if I should wait, I can.

Attachments

• B174E452-CD91-4296-9384-5054A8AF85CB.jpeg
    B174E452-CD91-4296-9384-5054A8AF85CB.jpeg
    925.6 KB · Views: 35
I have not dealt with the website, Machine inventory.com, so I can't comment there.

From pic it surely has been repainted. Not a deal breaker for me. Typically any old machine needs a ton of cleaning which the time involved can be significant, so that has been done at the least. I don't like they painted entire handwheel on apron, it should look more like the handwheel on tailstock, but not a huge problem. They didn't shoot paint over the tags, so that's a plus.

As far as wear, or any issues. . . we'll never know until you lay hands or eyeballs on it.

Price is not outrageous, but its not a steal either. Probably about the norm of a decent machine with the latest inflation these days.

Its an engine lathe, no taper attachment. Not sure about tooling, tool post, chucks etc. But if what we see in pic is what we get, then you'll be adding quite a bit to get tooled up and operational.

10Ks are glorified 9" larhes - and have tiny thru bores (less than an inch) in spindle. Sure you will be happy dealing with that?

Mr. Wells probably has the right catalog here

Last edited:
Overpriced IMO, Like John says, 10K's are basically glorified 9" lathes and you will usually pay a premium for that.
This same machinery dealer has the same exact picture and is selling it as a 9" for $2995., here:
which is still way overpriced in my opinion. This dealer does not have a very good reputation and there was a thread about him (them) and his practices on here a while back.
Don't be in a hurry to overspend or overpay. I sold my 10K recently (offered here as well) loaded with tooling, including full set of NOS 6K collets, NOS steady rest, quick change tool post, chucks, face plates etc., for $1950. I had completely disassembled it with new felts, wicks etc. and a fresh paint as well.
For what this dealer is asking, you could get yourself a decent Heavy 10, which is a much better machine.
Be patient. If you're not in a hurry, the right machine will come along.

CWC(4)

I’m having a building built in April and getting back into knife making. I want a lathe mostly for small stuff but I’d like to be able to turn down 3” round stock if I want to. I found a what appears to be a very clean 10K with some tooling. 3 jaw, quick change tool, live center drill chuck, some carbide cutting tools, 5c chuck and collet set and a VFD installed for single phase delivered for $3,400.
The description says all original but I’m sure it’s been painted cause it’s pretty.
I live in Maryland near Annapolis if that helps.

I appreciate any guidance or advise.
You need your head examined if you pay 3400.00 for that thing. There is a Heavy 10 for sale on this site that has a proper tool post and tooling for 3000.00 Much better machine but still overpriced in my opinion.

Last edited:

Back