What's new
What's new

Anyone familiar with Hiduron 191?

gregormarwick

Diamond
Pricing some parts, one is a hydraulic spool that has a 6mm blind hole drilled 150mm deep up the centre.

Hiduron 191.

From my experience with similar materials I'm little apprehensive about how this stuff will drill.

Any advice?

Thanks, Gregor

I don't know anything about this stuff but would you gun drill this stuff or?

Not usually, that's still within parabolic flute drill territory. I have a few options that I've used in the past for similar parts:

Kearns toolroom borer, excellent for sensitive drilling like this provided it's only one or two holes.
Live tool in the lathe, in cycle. Contra-rotation and lots of pecking. Lot of work in setting up...
VMC with through coolant.

My concern is that it will be too tough for HSS/HSCo, and I only have 300psi in the VMC if I go carbide w/through coolant. I machine a fair bit of nickel aluminium bronze which is mentioned in the datasheet as a similar application material and that stuff, while it machines nicely, is not at all nice to drill.

I only have one part to make so the borer would be my first choice, with a 130° split point parabolic HSCo drill. I'm just not sure that it's doable in this material.

Hello,
I know this message is very late, but I though I would add some information in case anybody else has a similar question.
I found some machining advice on Langley Alloys Hiduron 191 data sheet.
I have also attached the full data sheet.
1655456234440.png

Attachments

• Langley Alloys Datasheet-CA-Hiduron-191.pdf
    48.6 KB · Views: 0

Back