What's new
What's new

Lineshaft Machine Shop Photos

Bethlehem Steel Company, Bethlehem, Pennsylvania. 91 inch diameter corrugated ingot in cutting-off lathe. It looks like the parting tool could be 12" tall.
That incredible. I wonder how much HP a lathe like that requires.

Sent using Morse code on - .- .--. .- - .- .-.. -.-

In enginebill's middle photo above, I just noticed the board of lathe dogs, hanging on the right hand wall - They really had a LOT of them !

In enginebill's middle photo above, I just noticed the board of lathe dogs, hanging on the right hand wall - They really had a LOT of them !

Also an early Cincinnati Milling Machine Co. cutter grinder and an early Brown & Sharpe milling machine in the front
In the last picture another early B&S mill, to the right and a Sibley & Ware drill press to the left.
Rob

Attachments

• Sibley & Ware 1897 (2).jpg
    Sibley & Ware 1897 (2).jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Machinery displays in the Palace of Machinery, St Louis MO, 1904.

Attachments

• Exhibits on block 9, Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    Exhibits on block 9, Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 48
  • Exhibits in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    Exhibits in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 49
  • F.E. Reed Co. exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    F.E. Reed Co. exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 47
  • Kempsmith Mfg. Company exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    Kempsmith Mfg. Company exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    410.4 KB · Views: 47
  • Landis Tool exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    Landis Tool exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 47
  • Niles-Bement-Pond Company exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    Niles-Bement-Pond Company exhibit in the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    540.2 KB · Views: 46
  • Putnam Machine Co. exhibit I n the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    Putnam Machine Co. exhibit I n the Palace of Machinery (2).jpg
    472.3 KB · Views: 46
Machinery displays in the Palace of Machinery, St Louis MO, 1904.
You hear people talk about "If you could go anywhere in History, where would you go?" There's a lot that would be fun to see or do.... but I gotta say, I'd take my time walking around that place:cloud9:.

(Afterwards I think I'd buy half the place and hide it cosmoline'd in a cave:stirthepot:. This is after I go back to invest in Google, and all assuming I'm not disrupting the space/time continuum!)

It's interesting to see what kind of stuff was at the World's Fair back then. On top of that, it's weird to think that someday, there'll be a weird guy holding my Samsung tablet going on-and-on about how innovative the world of yesterday once was and how they don't make them like they used to.

Some of the Pond stuff is familiar......the Qld Railways seem to have bought a lot of pond stuff at the turn of the century......last I saw there was huge planer "Pond MachineCo ,Plainfield NJ"...bed was 60ft long.....when the old brick workshops were handed over to the museum board,old machines were cleared wholesale to make room for "poets workshops" and "artist in residence spaces"......I bought stuff like the wheel press and driver lathes for scrap......also a lot of tyre presses ........the presses were worked by a "hydraulic accumulator" outside that ran on oily water with a bit of soap in it.

Back