What's new

South Bend 9A

mofosheee

Aluminum
Hello Forum
Just acquired a South Bend 9A.
The carriage apron is without paint.
What to do?
I'm not confident with rattle can paint. How to refinish? Powder coast? or Leave it bare?

Thanks

Sherwin-Williams has some oil based paint that they can tint to what ever color you desire. You can even bring in a sample that they will match. Get their metal primer also. Sign up for an account and you will receive 30-40% off offers about once a month. With the discounts, their paint is competitive with the big box stores 6 colors of oils.

4 screws and the saddle comes off. Clean it up and overcome your fear of doing a Krylon overhaul!
If you have to brush it, get a quart of the thinner for the paint you purchase. Get a few pint and quart mixing cups as well. Use a pint cup to scoop paint from your gallon can to a quart cup. Mix in ten percent thinner to your quart cup. Brush your project with as few brush strokes as possible. Another words, don't keep going over the same spots. The thinner will slow your paints dry time just enough to allow the brush strokes to even out.Should end up close to a sprayed look.Might have to adjust your thinner a small amount for heat and humidity.

200ºF runs the risk of bubbling the paint. 150ºF is a safer temp and will bake things out just fine. Two hours is plenty of time to bake things out - just let things cool completely before you try to do anything with the parts.

There's all sorts of advice that can work out well.

A SB 9a is not so large to turn into a year long project.

The better finishes I've seen lately use a filler primer, including one i saw here in the South Bend section this past year, though the link escapes me.

One fella's advice I'd take is tailstock4. All his machines look fresh off a showroom floor. He gives a quite thorough guide at the end of his Pratt & Whitney 12c thread. See the guide here, and check out the rest of his thread:

Any parts I painted with rustoleum I just left sitting on the oil burner for a week.
Rustoleum always seemed to take a long time to dry, but when I did that, the paint was hard as glass.

Steve

There is the recipe in the sticky's for this group . Its the Paint that someone had done years back
a Sherwin William's mix . I used it when I stripped & painted my 9A right after I bought it . Go's on nicely , self leveling paint . I went to a art store & bought some real nice paint brushes . MY only complaint is my fault & I should have given it more time to dry & harden . But like everyone else I was in a hurry to get back together & running . Give it a @ week to harden . If I ever decide to do it again I'll have some reflector lights on it for curing .
animal

If you go with Rust-Oleum grey, which is what I did.

Bake the part at 200F for a day after painting.
Whys that? How long should I bake it for and what does it do exactly? Would it be safe to use the oven we use for eating? :D

Thanks! Does it matter what rustoleum is used? Oil, Enamel, both?? haha

What you're doing is driving all the VOCs out and forcing the paint to quickly harden. My procedure (on any regular paint) is to place the item in the oven in the kitchen for two hours at 150F. At the end of the two hours, I just turn off the oven and let the parts cool down in the oven. Once cool, the paint has hardened enough to be able to reassemble as needed.

What you're doing is driving all the VOCs out and forcing the paint to quickly harden. My procedure (on any regular paint) is to place the item in the oven in the kitchen for two hours at 150F. At the end of the two hours, I just turn off the oven and let the parts cool down in the oven. Once cool, the paint has hardened enough to be able to reassemble as needed.
That is awful.
@ OP, do NOT use your kitchen oven to cure paint The reasons should be rather obvious

Oven? Banish the thought. My wife would kill me............
What are your opinions on using a two part epoxy for the table?
Then what's wrong with stripping the paint from the lathe and running bare?

Attachments

• SB5.jpg
    SB5.jpg
    295.9 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Thanks! Does it matter what rustoleum is used? Oil, Enamel, both?? haha
Rustoleum rattle can enamel takes a long time to dry, your choice is let it sit for 2 weeks, or bake it, and even then its just not very durable. Oil based paint dries faster, in summer a couple hours its dry to touch, a couple days for a good set, and overall seems more durable, at least in my experience.

I use Rustoleum paints on all of my rebuilds with good results. I'm not the type of person to make my stuff look museum quality, just enough so the machines are functional for their use. Don't do what I did recently, go back and try to do some touch up cleaning on some painted parts using brake cleaner. Some of the brands of cleaners will take the Rustoleum paint right off the metal! Most of the parts were painted several months ago and had plenty of time to dry and harden in the South Texas sun.

Back