What's new
What's new

Thermite

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thermite had a temporary one month ban. When the ban was lifted, he began taking actions I believed to be negatively impacting the community, and against the core values of why we are all here.

I placed a permanent ban on him, and began working to correct certain issues. I have had continual contact with him throughout, and still hope for a resolution that can be favorable to all.

I personally won't lift a ban on thermite. But in an attempt to de-escalate, and an attempt to be fair I'm not opposed to lifting the ban on Monarchist, the member's alt ID. This solution is about as close to meeting in the middle, as I can propose.

There also appears to be a question of his willingness to continue to participate here, but that's a question he would need to answer.
Some people did actually wish I-LL on Thermite and actively promoted attacks on him. I think it is rather insane sort of like smacking bear cubs right on their nose expecting no repercussions. ;)

Admins have agreed to what I suggested in post #18. Ban was lifted on Monarchist. Note there is no strike through Monarchist name, though his member rank of diamond or whatever reads "banned".

A temporary glitch I've asked admins to look at. Though knowing him, he might take as a badge of honor :D.

Admins have agreed to what I suggested in post #18. Ban was lifted on Monarchist. Note there is no strike through Monarchist name, though his member rank of diamond or whatever reads "banned".

A temporary glitch I've asked admins to look at. Though knowing him, he might take as a badge of honor :D.
Seems like you ran ahead of things to ban him in my opinion. Maybe he made you and others angry and you decided to just ban him because you could. I thought the mods were running through any bans with a group of managers to be fair. A permanent ban for the vague reasons you give is not very comforting at all. I said it and I mean it. I feel you were not able to deal with him on any level. Jag is much more interactive and does pretty good. I do not think he has banned anyone who did not very well deserve it.

Admins likely agreed after you just outright banned him I suppose.

I would say that all that participate here are smart guys. You're all using free time to participate in a technical forum. But some guys, and some conversations make us work a whole lot harder :D.

I'd ask for a little patience as we sort through daily chaos, new site issues, etc. We do actually enjoy and respect even the more controversial members. Somethings just need a little time to sort out.
Well Mr Texasgeartrain, Thermite has added much value to this forum over the many years that he has participated here in spite of his obscure banter. In point of fact, he has added infinitely more value than you or Jaguar36. Please go away.

Some people did actually wish I-LL on Thermite and actively promoted attacks on him. I think it is rather insane sort of like smacking bear cubs right on their nose expecting no repercussions. ;)
I think that happened a lot, Thermite is helpful lots of times and antagonized many as well. As mentioned above, his writing is not always clear and you have to read it several times to figure what he is trying to get across but you can skip them if you don't like it and go on to the next post. He really can have some good info and is willing to share it, it takes all kinds to make this world work and would be boring without these folks around, we do not all think, talk and write the same. I am only 57 but I ain't found a mold I fit right into and am not likely to, some folks like me, some don't, I am OK with that and I have no expectations that others talk, write and act as I do. Nobody needs that. I think you ought to invite Thermite back and check some that feel the need to antagonize him

Well, I've got him on ignore! He's all talk. Never, ever shown any proof of any of his claims. If you add up all the decades of experience he supposedly has in all the different fields, he'd be 150 years old at least. He is obviously intelligent, but his insistence on nonsensical blather makes him almost useless even when he has a valid point to make. He thinks its cute, I think its childish.

However, the ignore is a solution that works for me. I don't care to get into the 'office politics' of moderators and banning.

What, I'm allowed to have multiple IDs?

If yours gets banned and you ask to come back and vow to behave, maybe. Otherwise...
Seems like you ran ahead of things to ban him in my opinion. Maybe he made you and others angry and you decided to just ban him because you could. I thought the mods were running through any bans with a group of managers to be fair. A permanent ban for the vague reasons you give is not very comforting at all. I said it and I mean it. I feel you were not able to deal with him on any level. Jag is much more interactive and does pretty good. I do not think he has banned anyone who did not very well deserve it.

Admins likely agreed after you just outright banned him I suppose.

There's more to the story. I'm sure he will fill you in when he's back if you ask him. Be prepared for a little reading though. :D

I've never found his grammar bad. On the contrary, it's pretty decent. But he definitely adds a lot more words than necessary - and often I think it's just to see if anyone is smart enough or has enough vocabulary to understand him. It's almost like he is making little puzzles for people to figure out. I usually don't have any trouble understanding him, but sometimes I have to think a minute and make a few obscure mental connections. If you can understand the advice he gives, it's usually pretty good.

Oh yeah, and also: Charlie wouldn't do that. Some of you fellas are awfully quick to jump the gun on throwing people under the bus.

Last edited:
Well, I've got him on ignore! He's all talk. Never, ever shown any proof of any of his claims. If you add up all the decades of experience he supposedly has in all the different fields, he'd be 150 years old at least. He is obviously intelligent, but his insistence on nonsensical blather makes him almost useless even when he has a valid point to make. He thinks its cute, I think its childish.

However, the ignore is a solution that works for me. I don't care to get into the 'office politics' of moderators and banning.
I stuck him on ignore quite a while back when he seriously lost the plot on politics and covid stuff.

Plus I was tired to decoding his gibberish, and like you thought him a serial liar or at minimum confabulator, though I take issue with you WRT his age. More like 550 years to pack in all he claimed.

So if he's got himself banned, he most likely deserved it for thinking that he could keep throwing shit without consequences. I'll shed no tears nor ask for a ban to be lifted.

PDW

I don't know all the story behind why he got banned, and I won't venture to guess all the reasons. But..I do recognize - like it or not - he was a part of what made this board what it is, and that is to say he made it a better place. I never had any trouble understanding him and when I found his posts too long I just skimmed them....it was never hard to get the gist of what he was saying.

So keep in mind - you mighta thought he was a dick, but he was our dick.

There sounds like a deeper underlying problem, I hope he is well, I have had expirence of similar behaviour, there was a cause, it wasn’t good. Sometimes folk need help, and mostly they don’t want it, I wouldn’t like that to happen, maybe I’m paranoid, I hope so, we all need to care about each other even if we are being assholes.
Hard I know
Mark

If yours gets banned and you ask to come back and vow to behave, maybe. Otherwise...

There's more to the story. I'm sure he will fill you in when he's back if you ask him. Be prepared for a little reading though. :D

I've never found his grammar bad. On the contrary, it's pretty decent. But he definitely adds a lot more words than necessary - and often I think it's just to see if anyone is smart enough or has enough vocabulary to understand him. It's almost like he is making little puzzles for people to figure out. I usually don't have any trouble understanding him, but sometimes I have to think a minute and make a few obscure mental connections. If you can understand the advice he gives, it's usually pretty good.

Oh yeah, and also: Charlie wouldn't do that. Some of you fellas are awfully quick to jump the gun on throwing people under the bus.
I found out early on that his messages were cryptic.
In the past I worked with 2 or 3 old machinist that were like this.
If you asked something, they would cuss you, and if you cussed them and insulted them worse, they would laugh at you.

These men were good at the trade, and they knew it.
Their answers were never straight forward.
They always told a story that had nothing to do with the question you asked, but they would slip the answer in if you listened to the whole thing.
Maybe their wives were ignoring them, and they needed to talk.
These particular men were like an 'R or X rated Paul Harvey'.
If you asked them a question, and endured the BS story, you would get an answer.
Thermite has given me info, and also bought some Hardinge tool holders that no one else could use.
His posts didn't bother me, but I had to block Gordon Clark about 1 month after he came along.

What, I'm allowed to have multiple IDs?
If there is not a Forum rule against it, live the Dream, eh!

If you can stand trying to have multiple personas online, and can keep them straight enough that you don't start arguments with yourself!

Honestly, I can't see the point other than perhaps starting over after losing a hard drive, passwords, etc.

One forum I frequent has a hard rule that you get instantly and permanently banned for Multiple ID's. It does tend to cut down on the spammers and trolls that are not there to stay on the subject, and generally, are only there to see what trouble they can stir up.

Have not bothered with the "Ignore" function here. Every other Forum software I have tried it on, simply replaced their posts with "You have Whoever, on your ignore list!" So you got to see the person's name all the same, and every guy that quoted Whoever, ended up posting that quote in their posts anyways.

Far easier to recognize the poster, skim over to see if it might actually be relevant, and move on if it isn't.

Reactions: Ox
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back