What's new
What's new

Pole Building Current Cost

DIY or pay to have it erected?

Building materials have settled down to just insane from fucking ludicrous, but contractors are still going full tilt and charging insanity it seems.

A friend had a 40’x64’x14’ lumber pack quote from Bens in Brown City last week, $48k

My other buddy jobbed out a 25’x32’x14’. $57k
That was site prep, slab, building, doors, and electric. The electrical wasn’t anything special. 100amps, 135’ away with 8 circuits $15k.
I told him he was crazy.

I’ve been waiting for trusses to come back to reality. Last year a 40’ pole truss was $230 from Menards and now they’re $570.

Just did an addition to my shop. 16 ft sidewalls 48 by 56 ft insulated and lined, 2 upper and 2 lower windows on each side wall. No electrical on this price, Minnesota insulation package. (Lots). Building cost erected 115,000
6 inch cement with rebar and 2, 4 by 4 by 4 deep for jib cranes 22,000
If you can get the amish to erect it you may save some, but mine was on par with average joe construction guy building a pole barn not having it engineered, where the Wick building was. Add 6000 for site prep also that i forgot about.
10 years ago built a 70 by70 16 ft wall pole barn insulated, heat, bathroom, cement , lined with white tin. And electrical that was 125000 turn key.

See, I'm currently very torn. I *want* a pole barn....but financially speaking, it doesn't add value to my house. The house across the street has a 30x40, attached garage, and a man's house and just sold for $179k. My house as it sits, is a piece of shit, multiple foundations, multiple different levels, eight foot ceilings, possibly built from lumber scraps? I don't know. I have a 24x36 garage, 12x36 of that is a finished apartment. Value when purchased 7 years ago was $120k on 2 acres. I think that at the height of the market I would have gotten $150k for it. I could add the pole barn, but it won't change the overall value of the house more than 50% of the cost of the pole barn.

OR

I could add on to the existing garage, essentially lengthening it and attaching to the house, and turning my little piece of shit of a house into a bigger piece of shit of a house with an attached garage, but actually have a utility room and maybe a storage room for the house. Basically making what could be a pretty sweet bachelor pad, as well as house that a desperate woman looking to tame a man may consider moving in to for a period. It would add square footage and double my taxes.

I can do anything interior. I do better work than most electricians. I hate exterior construction and I've never done concrete work which I am told is "easy" by people who have done it on an amateur level, but I've also been plagued by shitty concrete work in every garage I've ever had, so I'd rather have something that drains water, is crack free, smooth and maybe even doesn't sweat when the humidity gets high.

Ultimately, I just need a small run down light industrial building. But the price of those is ridiculous because of legalized weed. It seems that if it's got walls and part of a roof, it's got 10 tons of condensers sitting in a row outside.

I'll probably pay to have it erected, around here the amish usually do it. I move at a snails pace these days when trying to build things.

A hundred bucks a shop-floor square foot, with me as the general and doing most of my own electrical and all my own heating installation. Local contractor for the foundation, slab, and dirt work. Amish crew for the building including the garage doors (I bought and installed the openers—not included). Local company for the insulation. PoCo transformer 50’ from the meter can, so not much trenching for power. Single-phase, 400-amp service. 1-1/4” PE water line line from the house to the shop installed by the foundation guy; gray water only into a dry well. I did all the plumbing at both ends. No sewage, so no bathroom. 40x60, with a 10’ overhang over a 10x60 slab across the back.

The structure includes a 16x60 attic room accessible by a proper staircase. That added a bit.

IMG_8303-dsqz.JPG

Rick “built 2021” Denney

Last edited:
So what would've been a normal 40x60 pre-batshitcrazy prices?

Can anyone guesstimate the cost difference between pole and red-iron in similar dimensions?

Just acquired some property and might want to develop sometime in the distant future so I need to figure out how many organs to sell.

Red iron with a stock roof pitch on drilled-shaft piers with a separately poured slab would have halved the cost of the building for me, and the foundation by maybe 30%. Electrical would have been higher. Maybe $65 a foot all in.

But it would never have passed the property management committee inspection, and she is not to be ignored.

(My prices were pre-Covid run-up, and the money pre-current rundown in the stock market. I paid Covid prices for the insulation and wire, but everything had been locked in before things jumped.)

Rick “but I am in a high-price area” Denney

You could also consider a late year used building........if you are young and fit enough to pull down a building yourself,you can save 3/4 of the actual kit cost,or more ........many years ago ,three of us moved a large steel frame building by lifting and placing it on three trucks ,and moving it some 5 miles like that .........when my brother sold his last place for houses,he sold all the steel buildings to the horse breeder across the road ,man and two sons had them demolished and r e erected in a month.

Had someone here build a 40x60 in Canada and said it cost him 82K said and done. but that was full insulated steel, concrete floors 14 ft ceilings 3 garage doors etc.

Currently doing a shop expansion on my 32x40 shop, adding another 14'x 40 ft (biggest I can go without moving septic system) So far all my own work and just got the concrete in and I'm sitting about $8-9000 into it. Plus another $6000 for lumber, $4200 for roof trusses, about $4000 in steet sheet. plus a $2000 garage door and $2500 to move a gas line.

Last edited:
So what would've been a normal 40x60 pre-batshitcrazy prices?

Can anyone guesstimate the cost difference between pole and red-iron in similar dimensions?

Just acquired some property and might want to develop sometime in the distant future so I need to figure out how many organs to sell.

Yep, not time for steel to get cheap yet.

I actually think that if I were to do steel, I would assemble it myself. There's something about carpentry that is scary by myself, yet ironwork I could manage with minimal help.

I don't think I'm there yet financially, where I can do it without it having a big impact on my cash flow. Without financing that is, which I refuse to do.

A friend had a 40’x64’x14’ lumber pack quote from Bens in Brown City last week, $48k

My other buddy jobbed out a 25’x32’x14’. $57k
That was site prep, slab, building, doors, and electric. The electrical wasn’t anything special. 100amps, 135’ away with 8 circuits $15k.
I told him he was crazy.

I’ve been waiting for trusses to come back to reality. Last year a 40’ pole truss was $230 from Menards and now they’re $570.

Ouch on that electric, that's sickening. Still not to bad off all in. In mid 2019 I bought a 30x48x14 post frame with ceiling kit for about $16K but the contractor was booked out to October. They charged $10K to put it up and pour the concrete. I had probably $7K in concrete (post footings, frost free slab and a 10x30 apron). It was $3500 for the 3ph delta drop from AEP Ohio, and another $3500 for the electrician to setup the service. So we're at $40K right there and that doesn't include the probably 180 tons crusher run base we hauled in. I started finishing the inside in early 2020 and really started to bus my butt with materials started going crazy.

Last edited:
Labour was my holdup.....i had the kit delivered and had to wait a year before it was up...........fortunately all the steel and the concrete was paid on 2019 prices ......it actually wasnt much more than what I was quoted in 2011

Back