What's new
What's new

Lincoln 71M. 045 dual shield worm tracks?

Jim Moser

Hot Rolled
I have used this wire before and had a little left on a spool so I needed to weld up some 1/2 and 5/8 mild steel motor mounts, lot of worm tracks and porocity, googled around and apparently you need to run 40 cfm of 75/25 and fairly long stickout, tried that, helped a bit but then I opened a new 10 # roll I have had for years stored in the house in sealed new container and it was even worse. Not happy. I did a larger job many years ago using some Esab dual shield and never had this issue. Loved the dual shield for thick steel but I dont do enough I guess to be able to store it for years. Got the job done with some solid. 035 but is this typical for cored wire to go bad stored inside? I have some dual shield Avesta SS wire stored also, I assume it is junk also?

Your problems are coming from old wire. You might be able to cook it to get all the moisture out of the flux, if too old the flux will just not work anymore, I am not sure exactly what happens but some kind of oxidation with age. If it is on a metal spool just put in in an oven for 8-10 hrs at 300ºF. It should be better, if it is not better then it is trash. Esab has instructions on how to recondition wire as well as rods.
The long stick out helps a little by giving the wire time to dry as it moves from the tip to the puddle...

Flux core (70xx) needs co2 not 75/25. Check your defuser for dirt narrowing a port.
71M is dual classified, C25 is good to go.

Worm tracks suck, sometimes I fight them and sometimes it goes down perfectly. I read somewhere that they aren't considered a weld defect until they achieve some pretty serious depth, but they're still unsightly. It's caused by gases escaping the weld pool and being trapped under the slag, perhaps slowing down your travel speed would help? Although, fast application is a big benefit of D/S wire.

turning gas down and using co2 helps. co2 is required on our big welds for burn in, it helps with worm tracks. I suck at welding (not really, just work with welders that only weld - nothing else) and they go really fast, only weaving on a cap pass, overhead, and vertical.

I should try some co2 as that is what I used with the Esab wire but not big enough job to switch, solid wire works but not as nice but cant be buying a new roll of wire for every little job. I still wonder how the flux inside the wire can get bad sitting in a sealed bag inside the house for maybe 4 to 6 years.
Thanks for the responses.

Here is a link to some esab info.

This is a better one that has all the reconditioning info but it looks like esab changed their site....

here is info from lincoln, scroll down quite a ways to get to
STORING INNERSHIELD ELECTRODES:

Last edited:

Back