What's new
What's new

Source for Tab/Keyed Washers for KO Lee T&C Grinder?

jbacc

Hot Rolled
Good Afternoon,

While working on my new to me KO Lee Grinder I notice the nub on keyed/tab washer on one of the shafts is just about gone. It took me a bit to figure what that type of washer is called and searching the forum and using Google has not resulted in identifying where I can purchase these. McMaster Carr calls their keyed washers shim washers with tab but they are very thin and start with a 1" internal diameter. The shaft on the grinder I believe is 5/8"

As always, thank you in advance for your comments and guidance.

Joe

Sorry to beat this to death... I touched base with Sopko and they do not manufacture that particular size keyed washer. I am a bit taken back by the unavailability of this pretty simple part. With all the K.O. Lee grinders that were manufactured over the years, none ever needed to have the keyed washer for the 5/8" spindle that exits out of the motor replaced? Making a washer is simple, the tab/key is the challenge. I thought about putting a tack weld and then file it to the required size and shape. Attached is a photo of the shaft and the nut holding the keyed washer in place.

Attachments​

• K.O. Lee Keyed Washer.jpg
    K.O. Lee Keyed Washer.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 0

Sorry to beat this to death... I touched base with Sopko and they do not manufacture that particular size keyed washer. I am a bit taken back by the unavailability of this pretty simple part. With all the K.O. Lee grinders that were manufactured over the years, none ever needed to have the keyed washer for the 5/8" spindle that exits out of the motor replaced? Making a washer is simple, the tab/key is the challenge. I thought about putting a tack weld and then file it to the required size and shape. Attached is a photo of the shaft and the nut holding the keyed washer in place.

Attachments​

• K.O. Lee Keyed Washer.jpg
    K.O. Lee Keyed Washer.jpg
    294 KB · Views: 0

1- Draw washer as DXF file

2- Email to laser cutter

3- Install 3 days later

1- Draw washer as DXF file

2- Email to laser cutter

3- Install 3 days later
The specialty washer manufacturers make these, but it always seems to be a case of “send us your specs and quantity needed and we’ll send you a quote with lead time, etc.” Like the OP, I would think that these would be an item that someone would have in stock at a reasonable price.

The 1” and larger ones are available as milling arbor shims and at reasonable pricing. MSC, McMaster, etc. But smaller ones are hard to find.

I need some 1/2” ID internal single tab washers. For wood shaper spindles, swivel joints on UniVise and UniHead grinder fixtures, and some other pieces. One seller on eBay has them for ten bucks each. But I need half a dozen or so. Some 3/4” also.

Any sources?

The specialty washer manufacturers make these, but it always seems to be a case of “send us your specs and quantity needed and we’ll send you a quote with lead time, etc.” Like the OP, I would think that these would be an item that someone would have in stock at a reasonable price.

The 1” and larger ones are available as milling arbor shims and at reasonable pricing. MSC, McMaster, etc. But smaller ones are hard to find.

I need some 1/2” ID internal single tab washers. For wood shaper spindles, swivel joints on UniVise and UniHead grinder fixtures, and some other pieces. One seller on eBay has them for ten bucks each. But I need half a dozen or so. Some 3/4” also.

Any sources?

Why quote my answer and then ask the same exact question again?

Why quote my answer and then ask the same exact question again?
Didn't mean to appear to pick on you. Your answer - to provide a DXF file and send it out for laser cutting - was valid. Was hoping that someone else might have a source.

While you could go the laser cutting route for a regular flat washer, I don't think you would. Because regular flat washers are a commodity item that can be found everywhere, and pretty cheaply. While the internal tab washers aren't as common, I'm certainly not the only one looking for them - and as such I thought that they just might be commercially available cheaply. I know that they are available as automotive spindle washers, and of course as arbor shims, but those are in larger sizes.

I could of course file them from larger washers, or shape or mill (finishing with a file) them using a dividing head. And I believe that I've seen broaches to cut them (or maybe just for D washers). But if they are available as stock items I'd prefer that.

Laser cutting a half dozen or so - any idea of the cost?

Laser cutting a half dozen or so - any idea of the cost?

$29 delivered to your door. That is sendcutsend's minimum purchase amount.

I do this all the time. We just rebuilt the knuckle joint from a large Jewel log grapple. I had a few dozen washer shims in varying thicknesses cut from 316 sheet. Total cost delivered was $66

Their website:

$29 delivered to your door. That is sendcutsend's minimum purchase amount.

I do this all the time. We just rebuilt the knuckle joint from a large Jewel log grapple. I had a few dozen washer shims in varying thicknesses cut from 316 sheet. Total cost delivered was $66
Thanks very much. I had no idea that this could be done so inexpensively, and it is hard to imagine anyone making money at those prices. For a lot of companies, that $29 minimum would barely cover their shipping and handling fees.

I should know better than to “assume”, right?

Back