What's new
What's new

Wanted 10ee headstock cover round dial...short one 12"

Expressline99

Plastic
10ee Round Dial

Yep this is the one that covers the spindle on the Left side of the machine as you look at it. Mine is lost on the freeway somewhere around Los Angles.
I don't live anywhere near there by many hours so looking isn't going to happen plus its been about 3 weeks since I was there. Also Caltrans doesn't have it.

Anyhow, The correct casting part number is EE-1001 for a 12" swing round dial not the 12.5" that they made after mine.

So if you've got one you are selling or at random you need extra cash and want to grab the one off of your own machine I'm ready to buy.

PM as needed.
Thanks a bunch
Expressline99

Do you have a Sundstrand hydraulic drive 10EE? Because EE-1001 would be a Sundstrand era part. And, I have a drawing that shows EE-1001 to be the top cover, that is the lid for the spindle cavity, not the end cover shown in the photo.

Cal

Sadly, regardless of which 10EE, that particular casting - more than one version of it - is about the most-often damaged or outright missing part on all 10EE still in existence. Already scarce .... and going more so, each passing year.

Suggest you fab a 'safety" cover while you continue the search.

Fortunately... there's no mechanical function nor significant stress loading on it - save for certain collet closer types - so that can work, even if it is not the most graceful of 'art-deco' shapes.

Welll.. .....lots of folk here actually can fab 'em just as purdey as OEM.. or even nicer.

I assume if the other units didn't have a EE-1001 it must be a Sundstrand.. It didn't come with a motor system at all nor the electronics. The number was wrong.
I was given it by monarch but maybe he didn't understand me clearly.
The spindle cavity cover is the EE-1001. I wonder if your cover in the drawing is the one I need? Is the Sundstrand a 12" model? If so could you give me the part number so I look for the right one?
My manual doesn't give proper part numbers.

I'll have to make something up. It sure won't be pretty but will make sure fingers are kept out of there.

Thanks for the help I do appreciate it.

It doesn't actually even have to be METAL... but still. carved Turquoise, Malachite, Lapis-Lazuli or faux Ivory could be misconcscrewed as a skosh "OTT"... even for a legendary 10EE.

.......or WOOD it?

Cutting the arse section out of a Victoria's secret lingerie store female display "girlequin" would REALLY be cheating?

Then again, you'd have to ken 10EE owners?

Diverse crowd...

VERY!

:D

You may have hit on something! "girlequin"...Guess I need add that to my ebay search. lol
I'm sure the wife will like that. I'll just say it was a Grand Prize.
:)

OK so the proper name is "Upper belt guard" and the correct part number is EE-2234
I think lol Based on the order sheet for the lathe. Assuming they put what was on there on this unit.

I’ve seen parts machines sell for less than $500.

Based on the demand for this part, might be worth making a pattern and having it cast.

Easier that casting covers is to make them out of fiberglass. A mold can be pulled from an existing part fairly easily and used to make fiberglass parts.

These videos show the basic process:

There are a lot of other videos that show the process. The above is the first thing that popped up and probably applies more to a production shop. You don't need all the fancy gear to spray on the fiberglass, etc. The release agent can be applied to the master part and fiberglass cloth hand laid over the part to make the mold. Similarly, fiberglass cloth can be hand laid into the mold to make the part. Metal fasteners, etc., can be embedded into the fiberglass as it is laid up. Slots for vents would be cut after the fiberglass cures.

Last edited:
Easier that casting covers is to make them out of fiberglass. A mold can be pulled from an existing part fairly easily and used to make fiberglass parts.

These videos show the basic process:

There are a lot of other videos that show the process. The above is the first thing that popped up and probably applies more to a production shop. You don't need all the fancy gear to spray on the fiberglass, etc. The release agent can be applied to the master part and fiberglass cloth hand laid over the part to make the mold. Similarly, fiberglass cloth can be hand laid into the mold to make the part. Metal fasteners, etc., can be embedded into the fiberglass as it is laid up. Slots for vents would be cut after the fiberglass cures.
Maybe that process can also be used to make a pattern for sand casting???

On my summer project list is to make a fiberglass round dial cover for my '42 10EE. I'll be sure to post about it when the time comes. If it turns out nice I'll likely make a few and sell them to round dial owners in need.

On my summer project list is to make a fiberglass round dial cover for my '42 10EE. I'll be sure to post about it when the time comes. If it turns out nice I'll likely make a few and sell them to round dial owners in need.
You're talking about the upper drive cover on the end of the headstock, right?

I’ve seen parts machines sell for less than $500.

Based on the demand for this part, might be worth making a pattern and having it cast.
If I can get a hold of a cover I will make several castings. Gotta get a cover first. But as I posted before Monarch has told me my machine is a 12" round dial. That was directly from the service manager at Monarch. He said made from 1940 to 1945 Now why there would be a different size I have no idea. But at the moment I have no way of measuring the spindle height. It's in a bunch of pieces at the moment.

The round dial machines have a 12 ½" swing (6 ¼" from ctr of spindle to inner edge of bedway), but Monarch called it a 12" lathe. The square dial raised the spindle ½" (so it had a 13 ½" swing), but Monarch continued to call it a 12' lathe. I think Peter Haas said the reason was government contracts. i.e. that way the 10EE could still be purchased under military specs that called for a 12" lathe.

.. as I posted before Monarch has told me my machine is a 12" round dial. That was directly from the service manager at Monarch. He said made from 1940 to 1945 ...
Perhaps the gentleman at Monarch is referring to the fact that the vertical distance from the center of the spindle to the tailstock flat way is 12”. Or perhaps two facts are being conflated and the wrong conclusion reached:
Fact #1: All Square-dial 10EEs are badged and advertised as having an "Actual Swing" of 12½"​
Fact #2: Round-dial 10EEs have a spindle height that is ½” lower than that of Square-dials​
Conclusion: Round-dial 10EEs had an "Actual Swing" of 12"​
In fact, all round-dial 10EEs were also badged and advertised as having an "Actual Swing" of 12½”. The earliest 10EE sales brochure, from 1939, lists the "Swing over bed" as 12½”. I can show you photos of scores of 10EE build data plates (typically riveted to the front of the bed) starting in 1939 and as recently as 1968 that list the swing as 12½”. I have dozens of build information sheets--again going back to 1939--listing the actual swing as 12½” inches. I have been studying round-dial 10EEs for 20 years and have yet to find one with a date plate that lists the swing as 12". Ditto for brochures and build information sheets.

If you measure from the center of the spindle on a round-dial 10EE you’ll find that it’s slightly over 6¼” to the rear tailstock V-way, the closest part of the bed to the spindle. Thus, a 12½” part can, in fact, be machined on a round-dial.

I think that Dave/Peter Hass provide an explanation: if listing square-dial 10EEs actual swing as 13” or more would put them in a different class for government purchases, then continuing to list them as 12½” makes sense. But I can’t find any evidence that Monarch ever listed or advertised round-dial 10EEs as 12” machines. If anything, round-dials are 12½” machines and square-dials are 13” machines.

As to the question of the cover for Expressline99's machine: He was nice enough to share a copy of the build information sheets for the lathe. The sheets list the missing cover as “Upper Belt Guard”, part number EE-2234. The lower cover is “Lower Belt Guard”, part number EE-2233 (which is the same lower cover my 1943 round-dial has).

Last edited:

Back