What's new
What's new

Ot...ship hits bridge

2 local pilots on board. They are in control of vessel, not the captain.

Power loss. Full astern when powered back up to try to slow ship down. This action tends to push bow starboard. Probably cause of second power loss.
Bow steering screw not very effective above 5 knots. Also has to have power to operate.

At least one anchor dropped by automatic emergency system.

Made Mayday call. Bridge operators stopped what traffic they could.

Looking at earlier pictures the support piers seem to have no protection at all. A guy in a rowboat could touch the main support structure. Something similar happened in 2007 to the Oakland San Francisco bridge. Glancing blow mostly diverted by the little pointed island around the pier. They increased the size and height of the islands for next time.
The FSK bridge had small flat nosed islands inviting a head on crash.
Bill D
Didn't something similar happen in FL? missing or undersized "dolphins" there too.

Even both anchors would not have stopped that ship in time. It would have dragged trenches with them and still took out the bridge, maybe having scrubbed off another knot of speed. That's a lot of inertia. It takes a ridiculous amount of time and space to stop a ship with that kind of mass. From what I've read it was moving at 8½-9 knots or about 10mph when the power failure occurred.

over view of Kerch bridge note the big islands protecting the piers. Designers worried about intentional ramming.
BillD

Attachments

• kerch bridge.jpeg
    kerch bridge.jpeg
    53.2 KB · Views: 44
Even both anchors would not have stopped that ship in time. It would have dragged trenches with them and still took out the bridge, maybe having scrubbed off another knot of speed. That's a lot of inertia. It takes a ridiculous amount of time and space to stop one with that kind of mass. From what I've read it was moving at 8½-9 knots or about 10mph when the power failure occurred.
They said more like 6.5 kts at allision

The harbor is only 50 feet deep, if they would have dropped anchor(s) at first sign of trouble, they were plenty far enough from the bridge. The anchor is going to be on the seabed in what, 3 seconds?

Even if the ship rotated all the way around the anchor, it wouldn't have hit the bridge. Again, if they drop the anchors in time.

There probably are rules against dropping anchors in the harbor, but in emergency situations such as this, I would think some smashed cables or pipes would be a better outcome than a destroyed large bridge...

ToolCat
Dropping an anchor does not stop a ship. The anchor must drag enough to dig the flukes in and grip. It also requires a substantial amount of the chain for weight.
I would expect that in this situation both generators would be online so if one was lost the other would take the load. If not then the Chief Engineer has some 'splainin to do. If they both went out then he or the designer or both have some ahead. Tugs would have virtually no effect on a vessel moving at 5 knots or more.

I worked at sea when I was younger, only roro cargo ships and mostly spain-england-germany-sweden as destinations (car and paper freight).

All ships I worked at had main engine generator, two aux. generators and an emergency generator located in a different location.

Always when going in close proximity to land we where required to have both aux. generators online, for example in kiel canal and when moving in ports. I would be surprised if not the same regulations where in place here.

When moving in ports the main engine generator where required to be switched over to the separate thruster power bus, as the aux gen's didn't have the power to supply the thrusters by themselves. Might be a misstake in switchover that generated a blackout.

However, a container ship is a totally different animal from my medium-speed engine vessels (550 rpm 😆), and the power grid so to speak probably have a different layout.

What is surprising is the total blackout, that is a rare occasion. Usually the emergency generator springs to life rather quick and lights would have been restored.

What might have happened here is at the first blackout, the steering probably would be gone but not engine controls. The confusion must be quite bad as the pilots on board is not accustomed the that specific ships procedures. Any delay in action is valuable time. Emergency steering can be done but is located in the rudder machinery room, take some time to get there too. And in any case, in total power loss there is not even emergency steering.

The crew might have tried to give max reverse power but as these kind of ships often don't have controllable pitch propellers the engine has to be stopped, camshaft shifted and engine started in reverse. Might take some time.

Also, during reversing the rudder become pretty useless. Give a hard rudder command and full reverse, all that happens is cavitation and propeller rotational effect will overcome rudder effect.

All of above is natural reactions in these situations. The trainwreck in slow motion is for us as observers, the crew probably felt everything happend in ultra-rapide.

If I would hazard a guess (I've not even seen the video), I think that when the first blackout happened there should not have been a real emergency if the procedures where in place and they were followed.
But the situation spiraled out of control from that point due to confusion and ill thought out quick actions from various people. That is most often the underlaying cause, sadly. But I may very well be wrong, and the crew did everything correct...

I worked at sea when I was younger, only roro cargo ships and mostly spain-england-germany-sweden as destinations (car and paper freight).

All ships I worked at had main engine generator, two aux. generators and an emergency generator located in a different location.

Always when going in close proximity to land we where required to have both aux. generators online, for example in kiel canal and when moving in ports. I would be surprised if not the same regulations where in place here.

When moving in ports the main engine generator where required to be switched over to the separate thruster power bus, as the aux gen's didn't have the power to supply the thrusters by themselves. Might be a misstake in switchover that generated a blackout.

However, a container ship is a totally different animal from my medium-speed engine vessels (550 rpm 😆), and the power grid so to speak probably have a different layout.

What is surprising is the total blackout, that is a rare occasion. Usually the emergency generator springs to life rather quick and lights would have been restored.

What might have happened here is at the first blackout, the steering probably would be gone but not engine controls. The confusion must be quite bad as the pilots on board is not accustomed the that specific ships procedures. Any delay in action is valuable time. Emergency steering can be done but is located in the rudder machinery room, take some time to get there too. And in any case, in total power loss there is not even emergency steering.

The crew might have tried to give max reverse power but as these kind of ships often don't have controllable pitch propellers the engine has to be stopped, camshaft shifted and engine started in reverse. Might take some time.

Also, during reversing the rudder become pretty useless. Give a hard rudder command and full reverse, all that happens is cavitation and propeller rotational effect will overcome rudder effect.

All of above is natural reactions in these situations. The trainwreck in slow motion is for us as observers, the crew probably felt everything happend in ultra-rapide.

If I would hazard a guess (I've not even seen the video), I think that when the first blackout happened there should not have been a real emergency if the procedures where in place and they were followed.
But the situation spiraled out of control from that point due to confusion and ill thought out quick actions from various people. That is most often the underlaying cause, sadly. But I may very well be wrong, and the crew did everything correct...
Kinda nice to hear from someone who actually knows something about ship operation. Thank you.

Airline pilots very regularly are trained and retrained in emergency procedures and both the pilot in command and the pilot observing have well-defined duties and expected responses. I wonder if ships pilots have similar emergency training. Do you know about that ViktorS? I would imagine (certainly do not know) that less intensive and regular training is in place for ships captains and crew. I believe, based on "expert" Youtube contributors there are voice recorders that were likely in use on this vessel that may reveal the level of chaos and confusion that might well have been contributing factors.

This incident will be studied carefully and should be. Hopefully, we will learn some valuable lessons and changes will be made to reduce the chances of a repeat.

Denis

Foreign flagged and crewed ships are often/usually in an advanced state of dilapidation........often they are pinged for this or that by a maritime services or port authority ,or even a union .........minimal fix ,and off to sea.

WaPo:

the pilot ordered its rudder turned hard to the left and its left anchor dropped in an effort to slow the vessel and stop it swinging to the right, according to the head of a national association for ship pilots.

The 985-foot container ship, known as the Dali, left Baltimore about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday, bound for Sri Lanka. Clay Diamond, the executive director of the American Pilots’ Association, said the ship experienced a “full blackout” around 1:20 a.m., meaning it lost both engine power and electrical power to the ship’s control and communications systems.
What we know so far about Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse
The ship was traveling at 8 knots, a normal speed for the area that Diamond described as “ahead slow.” The ship never regained engine power, but Diamond said a diesel backup generator did kick in, restoring the electrical systems — the possible source of a puff of black smoke visible in video of the collision circulating on social media.

The harbor is only 50 feet deep, if they would have dropped anchor(s) at first sign of trouble, they were plenty far enough from the bridge. The anchor is going to be on the seabed in what, 3 seconds?

Even if the ship rotated all the way around the anchor, it wouldn't have hit the bridge. Again, if they drop the anchors in time.

There probably are rules against dropping anchors in the harbor, but in emergency situations such as this, I would think some smashed cables or pipes would be a better outcome than a destroyed large bridge...

ToolCat

Latest reports say that the ship dropped anchors as part of their emergency procedure. Obviously this was not able to stop it quickly enough

Kinda nice to hear from someone who actually knows something about ship operation. Thank you.

Airline pilots very regularly are trained and retrained in emergency procedures and both the pilot in command and the pilot observing have well-defined duties and expected responses. I wonder if ships pilots have similar emergency training. Do you know about that ViktorS? I would imagine (certainly do not know) that less intensive and regular training is in place for ships captains and crew. I believe, based on "expert" Youtube contributors there are voice recorders that were likely in use on this vessel that may reveal the level of chaos and confusion that might well have been contributing factors.

This incident will be studied carefully and should be. Hopefully, we will learn some valuable lessons and changes will be made to reduce the chances of a repeat.

Denis

Yes, there were rigorous training for all kinds of situations. I worked in the engine room and as such were part of the fire response team. We had sessions at least every other month. On top of that there were other training scenarios as well, can't really remember much of it as it became a "way of life".
Though regarding blackout's I were never high enough rank to be responsible for much in these situations other than staying out of the way. The ships I worked at were between 130 - 170 meters so not small by any means but no giants either. We where about 10 crew so there were always either the Cheif or 1st engineer on duty.

Funny story:
I were working for a company that had two really new ships in its fleet at the time (this was 2008 or 2009). I began on M/V Misana if I remember correctly, but after a couple of months I jump aboard her sister ship M/V Misida due to crew shortage.
During a really good pooping session there where an fire alarm and a blackout. Apparently toilets are not considered important enough for emergency lighting so I where really fumbling in the dark down in the control room head, trying to find the toilet paper.
But alas I could not find it, it was just a flat wall. So I thought "fuck it" and pulled my pants up anyway and went out into the control room, didn't want them to find my corpse in the loo if it came to that.
Apparently a synchro mechanism had failed miserably and tried to push a non-complete-synchronized genset online, so there were no fire but some smoke that had triggered the alarm.
There were no real dangerous situation either and my colleges had a good laugh when they realized I hadn't wiped...

What had happened was that Misana has the toilet paper roll placed on the wall to the right and that's what I got used to, but to the left on her sister Misida. I never realized that it had became an intuition to go to the right in panic mode.

That same ship where the first ship in the world to get Wärtsilä's all new common-rail diesel engines, two inline sixes (Wärtsilä 6L46F) coupled to a single screw through a common gearbox. They were still undergoing trials.
During engine start they were disconnected from the gearbox with a clutch at the flywheel of each engine. When the engine were up to idle speed it should have smoothly engaged the clutch. However it did not.
Imagine a propshaft that is about 600 mm in diameter, 20 meters long with a propeller on the end going from zero to perhaps 30 rev/min in about 1,5 seconds. It was BRUTAL.
They fixed this sometime later ofcourse.

there were no fire but some smoke that had triggered the alarm.
There were no real dangerous situation either and my colleges had a good laugh when they realized I hadn't wiped...

See, this is where your story telling falls short. For it begs the question...just how did your colleagues discern your failure to wipe your ass?

In United States maritime law, the Limitation of Liability Act of 1851, codified as 46 U.S.C. § 30501 since February 1, 2010, states that the owner of a vessel may limit damage claims to the value of the vessel at the end of the voyage plus "pending freight", as long as the owner can prove it lacked knowledge of the problem beforehand.

*The bridge rebuild cost should be determined and that taken from the value of the ship. That is the law and ship owners know that.

That is the law, but who pays attention to the law when you can just make up rules that you like.
The workers? Just give the ones covernment bozos like free money so they can stay home till the bridge is done.
The ones they don’t like can swim.

Last edited:

Back