What's new
What's new

Ot...ship hits bridge

Even if you confiscated the ship and contents (and maybe they will,it's early days yet), the proceeds would just be a drop in the bucket for the overall project costs. This is going to run into billions (and billions).

Heck, the Gordie Howe bridge going between Detroit and Windsor Canada, just going over the Detroit River is upwards of $6B now. It is a nice looking bridge though.

Max payout by the company, by international treaty, is the value of the ship and any cargo onboard. In other words they can confiscate the ship and auction it and the cargo.
I am sure the bridge will cost that much and a lot more. Not including pain and suffering for the folks killed.
Bill D

Who cares about worker safety and overworked tired workers maybe causing problems like forgetting to steer the ship instead of falling asleep at the wheel.
Bill D
BilL Dhttps://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-28/ship-owner-in-baltimore-bridge-tragedy-vessel-banned-australia/103642216

One of our friends is in the marine heavy lift business and told us the cranes were underway nearly immediately.
He told us the ratings but I forget what was said.
I also assumed they were on the east coast.
I’ll check and get the details.

I am betting they have the channel cleared quickly.
The replacement bridge is what - years out.
Opening the port is a critical project and will be done post haste.

I would assume the cut sections are going to just be dragged out of the channel initially and not born by barges.

One thing I have not seen is any of the sonar mapping of the site.
The resolution possible is quite remarkable.
I believe the engineering is well underway to approach the channel clearing project.

One thing which is easy to miss is the scale of this.
The Key bridge was massive and simply dwarfed by that ship.
The bridge support piers are almost spindly given their task however, were set in deep water so the ship did not sufficiently ground on approach and lacked sufficient dolphins.
The ship’s bow is grounded still on the abutments but simple swept the piers away on striking them.
I imagine all these deficiencies will be addressed on the replacement.

Edit-
I have that two 800 ton and one 400 ton cranes are headed to site with crews.

A text of the players as developing :

“Skanska, Don Jon, Seaward Marine, McLean. All work abandoned on the Harry Nice and mob their demo team to Potapsco River. 20 divers and many other crew members to arrive over the next few days.”

My wife says they will get her done and I’d say she’s right.

Last edited:
Who cares about worker safety and overworked tired workers maybe causing problems like forgetting to steer the ship instead of falling asleep at the wheel.
Bill D
BilL Dhttps://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-03-28/ship-owner-in-baltimore-bridge-tragedy-vessel-banned-australia/103642216

The ship was under absolute helm control by the port pilots.
There are reports the power issue was present before leaving dock and obviously at this point not resolved.
As far as I understand it the pilot(s) on board gave the commands during the entire incident.

Last edited:
Cost of someone not speaking up.
> 'We're gonna Build a Frail Bridge thru a Busy Waterway, and Just Hope Nobody Ever Hits it'
Well hell....The bridge is built to accomodate the size of ships and traffic back 50 years ago.
But even if they built a bridge for all time, shitty maintenance/inspection would have accomplished what out of control ships could not.

How much are the pilots responsible? If they knew the ship had problems and went ahead anyway instead of telling them they need tugs to get them to clear sailing?
Seems like the NTSB issues a pre-lim report in about 30 days and then the results of a full investigation in two or three years...which if that's the case a replacement bridge will probably up and handling traffic by then (miracles do happen they say).
In Pennsylvania there was a bridge that collapsed back in 2022 and the final report just came out a month or so ago. BTW--what was the findings?.....

Ok, folks...the point of a bridge is for cars to travel over (like the aforementioned one in Pittsburgh that couldn't even do that).

You're not supposed to hit the dang bridge with a ship! It's not a matter of "the bridge was too chintzy and couldn't hold up to a freighter slamming into it!"

No kidding! Those split-rail fences people put in front of their homes do jack-squat to prevent a car that veered off the road from smacking into the house, but when it happens, we don't say "Gee, what a chintzy fence that couldn't keep this F-250 out of the living room!"

The bridge wasn't necessarily underbuilt...you're just not supposed to hit bridges with a freighter.

This could go on ad absurdium "what happens if a fifteen-ton meteor hits it? We have to build it stronger!"

You have to put expense into the project proportional to the risk...we've been building bridges for a long time, with relatively few freighters losing control and ramming directly through the middle of them...therefore, the designers of the bridge weren't "planning on ships of fifty years ago"...they were just planning on the ships not to hit the bridge!

rant over. Thanks :o

Ok, folks...the point of a bridge is for cars to travel over (like the aforementioned one in Pittsburgh that couldn't even do that).

You're not supposed to hit the dang bridge with a ship! It's not a matter of "the bridge was too chintzy and couldn't hold up to a freighter slamming into it!"

No kidding! Those split-rail fences people put in front of their homes do jack-squat to prevent a car that veered off the road from smacking into the house, but when it happens, we don't say "Gee, what a chintzy fence that couldn't keep this F-250 out of the living room!"

The bridge wasn't necessarily underbuilt...you're just not supposed to hit bridges with a freighter.

This could go on ad absurdium "what happens if a fifteen-ton meteor hits it? We have to build it stronger!"

You have to put expense into the project proportional to the risk...we've been building bridges for a long time, with relatively few freighters losing control and ramming directly through the middle of them...therefore, the designers of the bridge weren't "planning on ships of fifty years ago"...they were just planning on the ships not to hit the bridge!

rant over. Thanks :o

Nice rant but.......

As the engineering has improved on bridge construction an allowance may be possible to put the abutments out on shoal water which will virtually eliminate a similar strike taking out the piers.
As they say 'we will see'..
I think they will get some wow factor on the new bridge design and attention paid to the realities of the shipping volume at this site.

There is fair assessment that a newly design bridge would be less or entirely free from such an incident in the future.

Image 1.jpeg

I can pretend to be a civil engineers eh....

Screenshot 2024-03-28 at 12.12.44 PM.png

Last edited:
Fenders around the supports which were sufficiently large enough to deflect the ship would have saved the bridge.

Back