What's new
jscpm
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings Media Albums About

• The die block or die block holder has a female dovetail so it slides onto the platen. For a simple cold heading die the bolt head pattern is made in the die block. A spring ejector can be used to eject the workpiece.

The header is supported and registered in the usual way and features a rubber pad on the top that receives the blow from the hammer.

Different dies can be used. For example, for just plain forging you could use flat die block or any other convenient shape.
    Right now my design is just a bunch of sketches on paper. I should make a more formal design I could send you.

To create a small hammer forge involves some work. Basically the idea is you need, first of all, a "cushion". This is a bundle of timbers, about 3' tall, standing straight up. The cushion is held loosely by a pyramidal curtain of concrete. So you have sort of a cone of concrete with a central cavity in which the timbers are placed.

On top of the cushion is placed the anvil. I was thinking of making the anvil by getting a steel ring about 3" tall and perhaps 16"-24" in diameter and pouring molten lead into it. Lead is desirable because it deadens the blow and reduces rebound.

Fitting into the ring and sitting on top of the anvil is the platen. This is a heavy forged steel disk that rides on top of the anvil and has a large dovetail on it that mates with the die.
    JSCPM,

I just read your mention of a small scale "heading" set-up, and i am very curious. I have dabbled with blacksmithing since teenager, never did enough to get good 'though made myself a few tools. lately I am trying to help a friend who is an excellent artist/blacksmith/blademaker increase his productivity. He has a product he has been machining, that I think he could much more economically produce by forging in simple dies...

How much would you be willing to share about your idea?

Thanks!

John
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back