What's new
What's new

.085" Carbide end mill help

Froneck

Titanium
I want to move an odd tapped hole. Odd because the threaded side is either 2.5mm X .45mm or #3 X 56. 3-56 tap screws in easy, don't have 2.5mm. But everything else is metric. However counter bore for hex cap screw is .149" too small for 2.5 or #3 but 2mm or 9/64 hex wrench fits the cap screw.
Hex wrench likes to slip so I decided to change the cap screw to 4-40 torx that uses LP10 torx wrench. But head diameter increases, current thickness of material to the edge in .030". On AutoCad I determined that I can move the hole .010, the increase in tap drill size will allow full threads. Threaded thickness is at the most 4mm. But item is 12mm thick. I would need a .085" X 12mm and only 4mm of loc will be used.
Lots of .085" carbide end mills on ebay, though I found one 12mm loc and put it in watch list, now I can't find it. Lots of 5/8" Loc and longer but length scares me though I will be using it in my Jig borer. I guess I can put in the counter bore and screw hole size first then use a .085" X .425 loc carbide end mill. I hate ebays newer search, at one time you limited what is found but now I get too much I have no use for at the time.
I'd like to find .085" X 12mm or .500 loc, I'd be happy with anything up to .090 with the desired loc!
Anyone with suggestions on how to find one? I don't want special grind or anything expensive or with long lead time! This is a one hole idea though it might lead to more later.

There are quite a few 5/8 loc .085" carbide end mills on ebay. I did order a stub carbide endmill that has about .200" of flutes but the length is 5X the diameter or .425" so most of the .425 is solid, possibly a few thousands under .085. Also have the .085" with .425 loc on order too. Maybe I'll splurge and get the 5/8 loc too!
But yes I can use less than 12mm due to the counter bore.

I want to move an odd tapped hole. Odd because the threaded side is either 2.5mm X .45mm or #3 X 56. 3-56 tap screws in easy, don't have 2.5mm. But everything else is metric. However counter bore for hex cap screw is .149" too small for 2.5 or #3 but 2mm or 9/64 hex wrench fits the cap screw.
Hex wrench likes to slip so I decided to change the cap screw to 4-40 torx that uses LP10 torx wrench. But head diameter increases, current thickness of material to the edge in .030". On AutoCad I determined that I can move the hole .010, the increase in tap drill size will allow full threads. Threaded thickness is at the most 4mm. But item is 12mm thick. I would need a .085" X 12mm and only 4mm of loc will be used.
Lots of .085" carbide end mills on ebay, though I found one 12mm loc and put it in watch list, now I can't find it. Lots of 5/8" Loc and longer but length scares me though I will be using it in my Jig borer. I guess I can put in the counter bore and screw hole size first then use a .085" X .425 loc carbide end mill. I hate ebays newer search, at one time you limited what is found but now I get too much I have no use for at the time.
I'd like to find .085" X 12mm or .500 loc, I'd be happy with anything up to .090 with the desired loc!
Anyone with suggestions on how to find one? I don't want special grind or anything expensive or with long lead time! This is a one hole idea though it might lead to more later.

Is this the result of too many drugs or not enough?

Back