What's new
What's new

0t--Russian mobile rail machine shops--WW1

Nigel Fowler Sutton posted video of mobile rail machine shop of imperial Russian

2nd aviation Co active in Carpathian Front 1915-16​

my biologic father likely was aware of such in his capacity as Zugfuhrer in Austro-Hungarian
army of emperor Franz Josef in the Carpathian campaign

Jholland -

Very interesting video - thanks for posting the link. My grandfather was born in 1878 and served in the Austro-Hungarian cavalry in the late 1890s - he was from what is now Slovenia. Luckily he missed the fun of WW1 as he was a coal miner in SE Ohio by that time. My grandmother was Croatian - they met in Pittsburgh. The one picture of him we have as a cav trooper fits the time period. He was one tough man who lived to 96 and always told me to get an education.

In my day I ran field maintenance shops but that train is something else.

My cousin's grandfather was in the Polish cavalry. He once told a story about getting into a bar fight that included the line: "then the swords came out". I was told he skipped town (country) because he murdered a man; not sure if those two stories are linked.

A tough man. But my father derisely called him a bantam rooster, small and cocky.

The wood shop at 2:37 is cool, the axe on the floor did most of the roughing work. It looks like they are making a wing rib and to the left it looks like a prop is getting re-glued.
At 4:00 you can see a compass plane that looks like it was shaping a landing skid. landing skids and struts were probably commonly replaced items.

Back