What's new
What's new

1/4 UNC Internal thread inside of Sch 40 ½" pipe (ID ~ ⅝")

GrievousAngel

Plastic
I need to connect two pieces of 1/2 Thin Wall together. One 8" long piece has both ends open. The other piece is a bent piece with the business end open. I am hoping to avoid welding them. There is no significant loading forces as it is needed hang compressor gauges and quick connect valves.

I have considered external threading of two piece ⅝" x 2" long 1018 or 1144 round stock, then tapping a ¼-20 centered through hole. Then tapping internal ⅝-11 threads into each end of the pipes. The idea being to thread the two custom ⅝"-11 plugs into each pipe. Then using ¼-20 10" all-thread to draw the pipes together. Well ... it needs to be simpler.

So I am looking into 1/4-20 jack nuts or well nuts or similar. A 5/16 or ⅜ threaded rod would require larger jack nut, etc. that may expand tightly into a ⅝" opening that is OK.

I hope I explained this clearly without having a drawing. Any ideas? Yeah, I know, why don't I weld them together? I would have to take it to a welding shop or buy me a $300 hobby MIG welding. Maybe that is the better choice.

Using 10 dollars in material to save 75 cents? Can you braze your tubes together? Buy some new 3/8 black pipe? A full stick of 1/2 round bar likely cost less than your studs and the 1018.
Wooden dowel and epoxy.

It is easy, and well worth learning the skill, to silver braze non-massive steel parts together with a Bernzomatic or similar propane torch. The joint can be as strong as a weldment and the equipment is much less expensive.

You seem to be thinking of tapping 5/8-11 into pipe with a 5/8" (.622") ID, which sounds like a bad plan.

Larry

It is easy, and well worth learning the skill, to silver braze non-massive steel parts together with a Bernzomatic or similar propane torch. The joint can be as strong as a weldment and the equipment is much less expensive.

You seem to be thinking of tapping 5/8-11 into pipe with a 5/8" (.622") ID, which sounds like a bad plan.

Larry
Many years ago, long before I got a lathe and welding equipment I repaired a broken center stand on a buddy's Yamaha by grinding a piece of pipe to a snug fit inside of both pieces and used a Bernzomatic torch and their silver brazing rods. The pipe acted as an internal splint and the braze married everything together. Was still good when he sold the bike after years of horsing it onto the stand while he was sitting on it. He was a very large heavy guy.

These days for small jobs I use an old Craftsman pushbutton torch with MAPP cylinders. My Bernzomatic was ruined after I made the mistake of loaning it out.

Rule 1: Never loan your tools

Rule 2: Never loan your tools

Rule 3: Never loan your tools

ad infinitum

Back