What's new
What's new

1" - 8 "Furrow- Thread" ???? What does Furrow mean?

doug925

Titanium
Hi all!
Can anyone tell me what a 1.0 -8 'Furrow- Thread' means?
Is it a specific thread form, or a special lead in, bone screw looking thread form????
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Doug

Screenshot 2023-12-01 12.40.43.png

Took me a minute, but I am guessing this is a cable ferrule. In any case, I would ask designer if they actually want threads or just a series of grooves at 1" diameter, 8 tpi.

I would think "U" shaped "threads" . These are fairly common in cable ferrules. But better make sure with the customer. The fairly sharp crowns help bite into the cable.

Thank you, all.
It is for SST cables, so probably as described above.
I have no info on/ for the customer, as this is from a fab shop.
I asked the purchaser from my customer, but highly doubt any correct info will come from him. (they are not versed in machining....)
MTN, I found the same patent, which is why I reached out. It looks like a bone screw thread form.

Thank you all.
Have a great weekend.

It’s certainly vague, I looked and there’s bugger all in the books I have, it’s somthing that needs clarification from the originator of the drawing, furrow thread doesn't exist in anything I have, not even medical, implant screws are sharp form though I’m not a surgeon! ( although I admit to minor surgery on myself, dental and otherwise with sutures, try seeing a doctor these days
Nhs my arse)
Mark

Overland showed me some similar sounding thread he needed to cut for driving embankment anchors (or whatever they're called). The rods looked like giant twizzlers.

It might be wise to steer clear if you can't get a clarification. It could be a big liability if it's a cable union as it appears to be.

Zoom in on the drawing and you can see the cable size it is made for. Wondering if this is used on high voltage transmission lines out there?

I'm with 4GSR, very likely electrical transmission cable. The title block lists Y connector, 777 kcmil cable. kcmil is thousand circular mils, and 1 circular mil is the area of a circle measuring 1 mil in diameter. Circular mil is a measurement I have not heard outside of the electrical power industry.

There is way too much material taken off the connector for this to be a connector bearing any load. The wall thickness near the two-cable end is pretty meager for that screw size. So I think others are right: an electrical connector. But are the cables used all finished with a crimped furrow threaded cable end? Or is the furrow thread just a way to add friction for the clamping screws?

There is way too much material taken off the connector for this to be a connector bearing any load. The wall thickness near the two-cable end is pretty meager for that screw size. So I think others are right: an electrical connector. But are the cables used all finished with a crimped furrow threaded cable end? Or is the furrow thread just a way to add friction for the clamping screws?
Would be interesting to know for sure. There looks to be adequate connector area on the two hole end when you consider it can only carry the load of the one cable opposite.
A few things still make me think cable connector. @dou925 says iis for sst(stainless?) cable and it's for a fab shop. Also I don't recall seeing many electrical connectors of this type with serrations in the bore. Seems like a 1"-8 thread would really limit the ampacity. The size is stated 777 kcmil which is a bastard electrical size. I found wire rope charts that show kcmil, awg, and actual diameter. BTW 777 kcmil does match the tap drill size.

Hi all!
Can anyone tell me what a 1.0 -8 'Furrow- Thread' means?
Is it a specific thread form, or a special lead in, bone screw looking thread form????
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,

Doug

View attachment 418130
I dunno what all can be found in various corners of the internet world, but all it says to me is that he customer ought supply a spec sheet for the thread that they 'expect' to find in the finished product!

Stuff like Bone Threads, or at least, threads designed to hold in bone, as far as I know, cut their own path through their designed work. Jess sayin'.

They sent me another print, to see if that helped.
It did, but not in the way I thought.

I noticed on the new print, they called out a Furrow Thread 1-1/4 -7, with a minor of Ø1.200"

That got me to look at the ID callout for the 1" - 8 on the print in the OP.
They called out a Ø.920" ID, when the minor should be Ø.865-.890"

I figure they want a cone going from above the major, to the (oversized) minor, similar to a 'wire nut'
At least that is my current thought.
As it turned into a 'budgetary quote' I shot high, to cover any uncertainties. (and a budgetary quote is an estimate, not a quote. That was the wording I used on the guestimate /quote.)

Doug.

Back