What's new
What's new

1-Phase 120VAC motion control

DanielG

Stainless
We need to do some basic motion control, but we're limited to a standard 1-phase 120VAC 15A outlet. In the past for this customer I used a NIDEC UniDrive M300 VFD, which worked great. Unfortunately, I need servo control on the next project. Most manufacturers don't seem to have many 120V options. So far the best option I've seen is Yaskawa. I've never worked with their motion controller before though. Does anyone have any brand or product line selections?

Thanks

Basic in this case is 4 servo axes, synchronized into two pairs. The pairs are geared to each other so the linkages stay synced up. Low speed, push-to-run control. There's no dual-servo countertorque, load cell feedback, G-code, etc., so I wouldn't classify it as complicated. It just needs to move four motors together.

Fiscal budget isn't a problem, just the energy budget.

Most manufacturers don't seem to have many 120V options. So far the best option I've seen is Yaskawa. I've never worked with their motion controller before though.
I'm probably going to say something stupid now - but the cost of a transformer with a suitable output can be infinitely small compared to mastering a new controller :)

Basic in this case is 4 servo axes, synchronized into two pairs. The pairs are geared to each other so the linkages stay synced up. Low speed, push-to-run control. There's no dual-servo countertorque, load cell feedback, G-code, etc., so I wouldn't classify it as complicated. It just needs to move four motors together.

Fiscal budget isn't a problem, just the energy budget.
Maybe these people ?
Or:

No controller needed with the Nidec solution, just share one encoder signal to all drives and make that encoder the master. Or set up a virtual master, network all the drives together and have them all follow the virtual. Such is the simple beauty of these drives . . . and same architecture whether a dinky 1/2 hp drive or a 1500 hp drive.

How do the Nidec servo/controller's compare to Yaskawa or Clearpath? I'm finding I could use a quick and dirty setup to automate a couple tedious processes. I'm not looking for five nines level of reliability or anything really just want something that mostly works and is quick and easy to setup. I've been looking at the clearpath, mostly because they have alot of information available online (including pricing), the controllers are built-in and they seem fairly inexpensive.

Back