What's new
What's new

1 Ton Long Wheelbase Dually Flatbed Pickup vs Machine Height/Size/Weight

Except that a F700 is an actual truck with actual truck chassis and springs and actual truck wheels and 18 ply tyres and steel framed and floored tray ...not some giant toy festooned with plastic chrome "accessories" and a plastic bed
True, was more of a a post about what was done and what was bare minimum.

Most machines I've been involved with moving fitted in the back of a van. Those that wouldn't (like the occasional Bridgeport) went in a twin axle plant trailer with a forest of straps to stop any chance of them moving. What pickups I've seen (including some imported models) were hopeless for carrying machines safely. There were no places to hook straps to and the beds had zero strength, they were just pressed steel with no structure underneath. I know there are better designed versions out there.

Trying to carry something that is unstable like a milling machine in the bed of a pickup is dangerous. Even if it is strapped properly you have changed the centre of gravity of the vehicle. Corner too quickly and there is a risk of it turning over.

@TexasAggie
I had a '72 L-700 with a 361FT, 5 speed and 2 speed rear. A real animal for weight. I used to haul machines, steel, castings and cars and it just shrugged it off.
Sounds like we’ve got (had) the same setup but different cabs. They’re extremely reliable trucks and cheap to keep going. I’ve got a 427FE I’ve been wanting to swap for the 361FT.

And drank oil?

Yeah, I had a few of those over the years.

427 S/O in a straight truck? :cloud9:
I'd still be tempted to toss in a 428 crank tho. :D

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox

Last edited:
Bare minimum for power?.........I had a 1957 F800 with a 5x2 and a Y block ......dont know the exact cubes ,but it was around 300 ..........that truck had plenty of power to sit on 60 mph with 8 ton aboard..........incidentally ,the truck is still sitting down the back somewhere ,covered in vines .......been repeatedly hit by thieves ..Ford thieves .

And drank oil?

Yeah, I had a few of those over the years.

427 S/O in a straight truck? :cloud9:
I'd still be tempted to toss in a 428 crank tho. :D

------------------

Think Snow Eh!
Ox
Yep 427 side oiler bout 400hp. Not sure the Clark 282 would hold up. On 428 crank , Used to do that in 360/390s in f250-f350s when gooseneck stock trailers were just coming onto market to essentially make mercury 410s.
The FT361 crank snout is way bigger and front timing works odd ball but would be interesting.

Back