What's new
What's new

10 EE Gearbox and New Motor Adapter Plate

I did a third 10EE drive rebuild last spring...

This is the best way if using the back gear. My second 10EE drive rebuild used a 10HP VFD rated 1800 RPM motor and no backgear. I can find the link if you need it.

Which way is best?? You got more time or money? The backgear mods take a lot of fabrication time but save a lot of $. I have both styles in my two 10EEs. i like the 10hp no backgear unit best.

Look at the above thread, i had to turn down the motor shaft.

Ya gets what ya pays for in the motor. An inverter duty unit will have a LOT more usable RPM range. That said, my first 10EE rebuild, 30 years ago when I was young and broke, just used an el cheapo standard marathon 3 phase 1800 RPM 5 Hp motor and backgear

Jerholz, Shiseiji, and rimcanyon, thanks for input.

Karl_T, that is very helpful information, thank you. I don't have access to a machine shop myself, so I would have to pay for the fabrication associated with mounting the back gear. Using a 10 hp motor would probably be easiest for me in that regard. Since you are satisfied with your 10 hp version, I feel better about that option now.

Beckerkumm had provided some good guidance on looking for a motor so I am in the process of doing that now. My concern will be finding a 10 hp VFD with single phase input at a reasonable cost. I am wondering if a FLA rating on a VFD of 20.2 A would be a problem if the 10 hp motor had a FLA rating of 26 A. I don't think I would ever fully load the 10 hp motor so maybe this would be ok - unless start-up current could be an issue. I use a 7.5 hp rotary phase converter for my woodworking equipment but that would probably not drive the 10hp VFD.

Thanks again for the input.

Most VFDs will allow single phase input whether rated single phase or not. If you have 30-40 amps single phase input the VFD will be fine due to soft start. You probably want to program the VFD to limit the amp draw anyway as you don't need or want 10 hp flowing through the drive train at 60 hz. 10ee are stout but not for hogging material at 10hp. The only reason for the high hp is to get higher torque while still having 1 hp at 6 hz. You should run a vector duty motor as without the back gear you will run from just above zero to 120+ hz. Dave

EDIT Another consideration if giving up the back gear is to look for a 6 pole 1200 rpm 7.5 hp motor. Depends on if you find a deal on that type of motor. Torque at low rpm will be a little higher but you will give up some top end. I seldom run over 2500 rpm so a 1-1 ratio on pulleys will give you a 2500 top end at 135 hz assuming some slip. If you have only one lathe and will be turning some larger diameter steel periodically, the 6 pole motor might be preferable.

Last edited:
If you have to hire machine work, the no back gear approach will be far easier and cheaper.

A 6 pole 7.5 hp would be a rare find. better to look for a 4 pole (1800 RPM) 10Hp that is VFD rated. Most VFDs will refuse to try to start a motor bigger than the VFD rating. I learned this the hard way. Now many will tell you a 15Hp VFD is needed to run a 10Hp on single phase. I am on the fence on this one - the experts may be right.

eBay is your friend looking for new old stock VFD rated motors. Takes a lot of search time. Big savings possible.

<edit> I surfed ebay for one

found a cheaper one:

Last edited:
Thanks again for the input. Does anyone ever make a new motor pulley to get better low speed torque at the expense of the higher speed? I noticed that the pulley on Karl_T's machine is toothed, I would just need a v-belt pulley. I would probably get into interference issues before shrinking the diameter too much, but maybe it could provide some help.

Attachments

• Pulleys 1.jpg
    Pulleys 1.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 9
Assuming you get that Nice 10hp motor...

I suggest this VFD and vendor:

You might find a cheaper one but the quality will suffer. And Hitachi has much better manuals and easier programming. I tried an el cheapo Chinese offer on my compressor and it was just plain awful to setup. AND all the connectors were way undersized for the amp load - it will likely burn out on me

Back