What's new
What's new

10 inch Excelsior drill press

rustyironism

Cast Iron
Couldn't resist this little drill press today.
Only obvious marking is EXCELSIOR on the column.
Vintagemachinery shows a Royersford catalog, calling their drill presses Excelsior, but only big drills, no babies like this.
There is no chuck, but a tapered arbor, with ball bearings in the spindle.
I looked through Tonyslathes and searched here on PM, but if anybody has any information, or better searching skills, any input would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Mike

Attachments

• IMG_5818.jpg
    IMG_5818.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5819.jpg
    IMG_5819.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_5822.jpg
    IMG_5822.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5824.jpg
    IMG_5824.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5825.jpg
    IMG_5825.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5826.jpg
    IMG_5826.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5820.jpg
    IMG_5820.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 14
You sure know your ancient machines, Rob!
I'd say that's it, if not an exact copy.

Thanks!

from vintagemachinery website..

"Founded in 1903 by George H. Burke as Burke Machinery Co., the firm moved to Conneaut, OH in 1910 and changed names in 1911 to Burke Machine Tool Co."

catalog pictures show it to be the #1 model .
The same in 1911 and 1921, but different in 1923.

All pictures show the name cast in the column, not simply Excelsior like this one.

Could this one be from the 1903 to 1911 era?

Mike

Last edited:
Hard to say about the "EXCELSIOR" name.
Could be it was made for someone else, such as a machinery dealer.
I have seen that before.
Excelsior was a common name to use at that time.

Rob

Attachments

• EXCELSIOR.jpg
    EXCELSIOR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
That's a very common style for a bench drill of its era. Probably going to be impossible to actually sort out its provenance as any half decent foundry with machine shop contacts could turn them out in short order by simple copying an example.

I'm in the UK and I had a no-name one of virtually identical design. Pulled out of a second hand shop for a maybe £5 or £10 in the early 1970's. Decently accurate and worked well for me after the usual minor getting of changing the loose ball thrust bearings for taper rollers ('cos I had them in stock) and fitting a motor at the top. Quite happy to sell to a mate and still going strong. Maybe pushing 100 years old by now and looks set fair for the next 100 given a modicum of care. Over the years I've passed by several that looked very similar but paid no attention to the name, if any. Tony on www.lathes.co.uk lists a few named breeds of very similar style.

Clive

Back