What's new
What's new

10EE gearbox

mccolld

Aluminum
Hey guys,

I had a woodruff key come loose in the gearbox of my square dial lathe. It prevented me from being able to engage the powerfeed. After a lot of hassel, I fished out out. Before I put it back into the machine, I want too dig into it to determine where it came from and why.

Does anybody know of any exploded view photos of the gearbox or directions and/or advise of how best to dissemble it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530A using Tapatalk

Here are the sheets out of my manual. There are a few woodruff keys, 450-3, 453-2, 452-3.....you can find them on these pages.

Hope this helps, Bill

Attachments

• 10EE.jpg
    10EE.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 225
  • 10EE2.jpg
    10EE2.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 137
  • 10EE3.jpg
    10EE3.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 215
Bill, thanks!

I have these same prints. What I'm looking for is guidance on how to get into the gearbox.

I think it might have been 452-3 that came out but I'm unsure. I can't see down in there. When I took the gearbox off the machine, the key fell to the bottom allowing EE-2773 to then fully engage. I'm unclear how it could come out by just looking at the prints (assuming that's the one). Before, EE-2773 would only partially engage and would slip out under any load.

Even though I fished the key out, it doesn't appear to be slipping now but that's just turning it over by hand. For all I know, it might just spin on the shaft under load.

I feel like I need to discover why I had the issue before I put everything back together to prevent any damage.

BTW: I had been using the machine for several years without any problems.

BTW: I had been using the machine for several years without any problems.

? Is there any chance ...... that the Woodruff key you fished out... had been lost to where he couldn't recover it.. by a PREVIOUS tinkerer.. all-else being set right or left right as-had...sat tucked out of harm's way 'somewhere' for years and years ..

NOW got dislodged, and then a second time... had no place to go inside, because all the requisite keys are in their places?

Stray key as SURPLUS key, IOW.

Otherwise .. I can't marry up the 'several years without any problem' & c., Woodruff keys ordinarily being 'captive'.

Bill

Bill, exactly my first thought.......it's just that I don't want to run it on an assumption.
I'm a big believer in cause and effect.

OK, I have not been into one of these either. I'm sure there is a thread or two on here about how to go about it.

Bill

I'm no help.

I "think" I have a 10EE gearbox in a crate around here somewhere - Maynah might remember better than I - but if so, it is off a 'Round Dial' and AFAIK those are different as chalk and cheese from a 'square dial' gearbox.

Bill

Also, I find it very incredulous that the key would land in that spot.

Oh, that happens.

Ever play 'tiddleywinks' as a kid?

Edge gets just a nip of gear mesh, can get flung, ricochet, get into places you'd swear the old gal hadda snuck out for hanging off the overhead or similar kinkey-f***ery.

Bill

Back