What's new
What's new

10EE odd cross-slide dial question, along with a trim strip material question.

mooserov

Aluminum
I'm refurbing a '50 10EE and I have a couple of questions. First is this cross-slide dial seems a bit unusual. It is longer than others I've seen and has an internally geared extra ring, like what I would assume a metric/imp dial would have, but it is only imperial. I've never seen one like this, is it rare?

cross slide dial.jpg

Second question, The trim bars on this machine are cast iron. I thought it was normal until I bought a used cover from Monarch that came with aluminum trim bars. Did they switch materials at some point? I want shiny so I may get the iron ones chrome plated, but then it won't match the aluminum. I might be on the hunt for some aluminum trim pieces.
trim pieces.jpg

I'm just trying to learn a little more about the history and different configurations these lathes had in the past.
Thanks,
Mooserov

Second question, The trim bars on this machine are cast iron. I thought it was normal until I bought a used cover from Monarch that came with aluminum trim bars. Did they switch materials at some point? I want shiny so I may get the iron ones chrome plated, but then it won't match the aluminum. I might be on the hunt for some aluminum trim pieces.
View attachment 374227
My 1943 round-dial has all cast-iron covers and trim bars. I'm not sure when they switched to aluminum covers, but IIRC, most square-dials have aluminum covers.

Were you missing your covers, or what? What's the casting number for the cover you got from Monarch? (Look on the inside of the cover.)

Cal

all existing covers are aluminum, but the bars are cast iron. It's why I thought it was odd. May have been replaced in the past though.

Your covers may have been made during the time when they were switching to aluminum and they used up the cast iron bars that they had on hand.

Cal

I tried to machine my cast iron trim bars relatively flat so I could polish them. That was a disaster as they where so far out and had internal voids. It ended up being easier and faster to just make them out of Aluminum stock.

Back