What's new
What's new

10EE Tach Phenolic Drive Gear Replacement Worth it?

Hobby Racer

Aluminum
I'm at the point of restoring the headstock and bed on my 42 10EE round dial and pulled the tach for reconditioning and found that the phenolic gear that drives the tach is completely stripped!

IMG_20220316_151404333.jpg

Does this gear serve any other purpose than to drive the tach? I'm thinking if that is all it does I may just leave it alone and install a digital tach. I really do not want to pull the spindle just to get the tach working. :angry:

... Does this gear serve any other purpose than to drive the tach?

I saw in a post by rimcanyon (2nd picture) that there is a tach idler gear under my stripped phenolic gear. He thought its function was to be an oil slinger. If that's its function, it will no longer be spinning and slinging oil about if I don't replace the phenolic gear above it. :rolleyes5:

Wonder what that will effect and how long it was run this way?

It seems like the idler gear jammed or stopped turning somehow and sheared all the teeth from the phenolic tach gear. I assume this because the other phenolic tach gear, the one connected to the brass bevel gear, is in perfect shape and the shear pattern looks to be just as wide as the idler gear.

The tach idler gear spins freely now though. :scratchchin:

Welllll.. I guess all it would take to find out is for one of us to lay a sheet of polycarb or acrylic across the open top of a 10EE headstock - with the steel 'windage" plate removed - and put a camera to it?

On my "RTWL" but ..other priorities... many...

If I had to guess from moving parts around by hand in there, I'd say it provides splash lubrication when you are NOT using the forward or reverse power feed. I do not think the forward and reverse gears spin if not engaged and therefore no splash lube is happening in the headstock center section without the tach idler gear spinning.

If this is true, I may have to pull the spindle to fix this.

I think I'll check the TIR of the spindle nose first. If it's not great I won't feel so bad about pulling the spindle shaft.

Did you find any "teeth" in the oil .

Hal

Not yet. I drained the center section but not all the fluid from that part of the casting drains out. Plus with the gears in the way its hard to see. I'm going to have to rig something up to "go fishing" for parts to see what I can find.

Since they are phenolic, a magnet is of no help.

I have an extra gear off of the replacment spindle Im putting in the 7000 dollar mistake if you need it..

Hey, I've been watching your videos on YouTube. Nice job making the sleeve for the 10E spindle.

I would very much like your extra gear, thank you!

I'll email you directly from the forum and we can work out the details. I would also like to ask you some questions about your experience removing the 10EE spindle.

I have the spindle out of my '46 square-dial 10ee at the moment to fix leaks between compartments. One purpose of the tach idler gear is definitely to lift oil from the spindle bearing sump. The oil transfers to (or is splashed onto) the tach drive gear, and then a scraper that is part the tach drive bracket deflects the oil into the well on top of the bracket. It then gravity-feeds through the three copper tubes to lubricate the two big headstock bushings and the feed/threading selector fork.

10ee-tach-gear-scraper.jpgIMG_4795.jpg

Attachments

• 10ee-tach-scraper.jpg
    10ee-tach-scraper.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4795.jpg
    IMG_4795.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 38
I wasn't aware of that difference in the oiling (round vs. square-dial). A picture of the tach bracket I found in a 1942 round-dial manual shows it doesn't have the scraper on top of the bracket either. Without a scraper, oil carried up on the tach gear probably wouldn't get anywhere useful other than the tach drivetrain itself.

In the OP's picture I noticed the holes mine doesn't have near the edges of the two large bushings, along with the a big chamfered hole in the web next to the tach drive gear. Are those features for splash-lubrication of the bushings?

This would imply that you must not run the spindle in reverse too long.

No, the tach gear on the spindle that drives the idler gear is always spinning. Thus always flinging oil. It's just completely stripped in my case. :(

The tach does not read in reverse on a 10EE but the gears are still spinning.

I was suggesting that the square dial 10ee's that have the oil scraper will not
feed oil to the bearings when the spindle is running in reverse. The oil will not
get fed to the copper tubing by the little oil channel because the scraper works
only in one direction. The oil flinging of the gear would work just as well in
forward or reverse but only at high speed.

No, the tach gear on the spindle that drives the idler gear is always spinning. Thus always flinging oil. It's just completely stripped in my case. :(

The tach does not read in reverse on a 10EE but the gears are still spinning.

Viewed from above, the leading and trailing edges of the scraper on a square-dial tach bracket are symmetric and also centered front-to-rear at the side of the bracket well. It would work equally well with the drive gear turning in either direction.

Hey, I've been watching your videos on YouTube. Nice job making the sleeve for the 10E spindle.

I would very much like your extra gear, thank you!

I'll email you directly from the forum and we can work out the details. I would also like to ask you some questions about your experience removing the 10EE spindle.

It's best to use the email on YouTube as all my otheres are killed by spam.. Or PM me here.

Back