What's new
What's new

10k Horizontal motor mount?

It looks like a resilient motor mount bolted to the counter shaft assembly. There's nothing wrong with that and it doesn't necessarily mean it's a furnace blower motor.

But, if the picture of the nameplate of the motor is actually the one you're using, you do understand that it's a 3 phase motor which will require either a phase converter or a VFD to run it on household power.

Yes I have a VFD it’s the motor that came with the lathe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that may be depending on which countershaft assembly you have. There have been many. My countershaft assembly mounts the motor in front. The OP's mounts the motor behind. My 10K has a 1980 build date.

I agree mine as a assembly that already pivots here are some more detailed photos. My lathe is a few years older 4/58.
98c012c8edc73b09199dbabadbf85fd9.jpg

b65a9c20cfa630a6add74470237f2f44.jpg

9f80760a40781534c9b015751f5c2f92.jpg

982f06e3c9710731957fad5a5dfacd9f.jpg
original drawings that came from the seller with the SB sales book of 56
53c77ae5b972a774a15bb79ffe8e3872.jpg
more common unit ie not the one that i have
fde8770febfc3f8f8e0827e95401fa1b.jpg

Here is the Schematic for nine and a 10k seems that there is more of the one unit in the other mine has the tensioning in spring for deflection?

I think the existing motor mount plate does pivot to tension the v belt.

Yes you are correct the aluminum space and rubber pad help Parts 41-42 tho mine didn’t have any rubber left after the many year of use im assuming.
cb25055a364657790f39d11ef307ac94.jpg

Is the base that the mount assembly sits on slotted? If it isn't possibly you could mill slots to raise it up where it bolts to the cabinet and that would eliminate spacing it. Buying a tool that is old and has been through multiple owners can be a challenge figuring out what really was correct originally and what had been "corrected" over the years. Jim

Another 1950s horizontal motor 10K

Hi Everyone
happy to see this thread, I was about to start one on a similar subject.
I bought a 1959 10K a year ago. I was rebuilding it, but life go in the way fairly severely for 9 months or so. I'm back at it now. Mostly done with cleaning, painting and changing felts - that's another story, they were all black and hard (some with 'glitter' ugh!). PO seems to have used automotive engine oil on it for 30 years - but that's another story.
I rewired the motor and switch as it had been done in a hokey way that meant it did not reverse.
As you'll see from the pic - in the shed where I bought - it has cast iron legs, and a narrow oilpan. The motor is mounted on a slab of 1/2" steel plate that is drilled to take the headstock end foot-to-leg bolts - The plate is slid under the oil pan and on top of the leg. This is obviously not standard issue, its ugly but rigid -there's a big old diagonal brace - 1/2" x3" It also means the lathe is on a slight tilt down towards the tailstock as there is not an equivalent spacer under the tailstock leg. To be truthful, I'm not a huge fan of the horizontal motor - it takes a lot of space. I'd prefer it to be under, but I guess this is what I've got. I'd be interested to hear any opinions/advice.
thanks

Attachments

• 10K back drive.jpg
    10K back drive.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 26
I'm not 100% certain what is original and what is not on my lathe. Mine is supposed to be a 9a South Bend. I have spent days searching the internet for photos and diagrams showing me the motor mount and hook-up. So far your photos are the best ones I've found. I have a diagram from some Army manual that shows the mount. I'm posting some photos of my lathe. Mine came with a long shelf for the mount. Yours clearly looks too short. The one thing that I'm having trouble with is how to connect the threaded rod and turnbuckle. I don't have all the little parts to do this so I thought I'd just use a turnbuckle and threaded rod and run it through the headstock. I can weld a small washer on the rod to push against the headstock and tighten the motor mount . However , the hole in the headstock and the connecting fork on the mount do not align. I have adjusted everything as far to the side as I can. Still no alignment. The headstock is lined up with the edge of the ways. It can't be moved because then the end gears will not line up. I'm at a loss. The threaded rod will be roughly an inch or 2 off to the side as shown in the photo. 20220414_193100.jpg20220414_193124.jpg20220414_193259.jpg20220414_194147.jpg20220414_193540.jpg

I'm posting some photos of my lathe. Mine came with a long shelf for the mount. Yours clearly looks too short. The one thing that I'm having trouble with is how to connect the threaded rod and turnbuckle. I don't have all the little parts to do this so I thought I'd just use a turnbuckle and threaded rod and run it through the headstock. I can weld a small washer on the rod to push against the headstock and tighten the motor mount . However , the hole in the headstock and the connecting fork on the mount do not align. I have adjusted everything as far to the side as I can. Still no alignment. The headstock is lined up with the edge of the ways. It can't be moved because then the end gears will not line up. I'm at a loss. The threaded rod will be roughly an inch or 2 off to the side as shown in the photo. View attachment 347142View attachment 347143View attachment 347144View attachment 347145View attachment 347146

Marty, that 1/2" plate and angle bracket looks exactly like mine! Same cast legs too - see pic in previous post. Maybe it was a semi-standard hack at the time - what year is your lathe? My 10K is 1959. I'm out of town at present but can look at mine for you when I'm back. Mine has all the standard turnbuckle and levers. Might your solution be simply a matter of drilling some new holes in the 1/2" plate - hav e you checked to see if there aren't several holes? As I recall mine had several more than I need under the motor end. Out of interest, does yours have an extra bit of plate under the tailstock end? Mine did not so it was not level!

I seem to have an oddball lathe. At least it seems that way to me. Not common at all. Yes , there is a plate underneath on the tailstock end. My lathe is supposed to be a 9a but I sure do see a lot of similarities to a 10k. If the seller of my lathe was correct , and I remember correctly , I think my lathe might be a 1947 model. The serial number is 5041KAR7. I'm not sure how to confirm the date. Yes , I see extra holes under my motor mount plate , but none seem to be to adjust the sideways movement for the motor mount. I guess drilling and tapping new holes is one solution. I was hoping to keep things as original as possible , but I'm seeing that that may not be possible if I want to actually use it.20220415_151017.jpg

. So far your photos are the best ones I've found. I have a diagram from some Army manual that shows the mount. I'm posting some photos of my lathe. Mine came with a long shelf for the mount. I'm at a loss. The threaded rod…

Thanks Marty for the response and for the info. Here is a picture of the tensioning rod and handle to adjust the tension. My drive unit and shaft are getting a much need upgrade. Someone had replace one of the babbitt bearing and left the other side to keep wearing. I removed the Babbitt and will have a horizontal mill bore the repair and the damage bearing and re sleeve them with some brass bearing. As for the short motor mount I just used some spacers to raise the base from the table. I rather not add anymore or making a longer plate would just leave me with even more unusable area in my shop. I also found that army service manual to be invaluable.
5d42e2081a65e030bf5b5a477ef1718e.jpg

87f22bbbbabd3eda09a59b7f1a97440f.jpg

the original repair that is all going to be replace the scoring on the bearing and the drive shaft are quite bad.
843480549245169264b7ce012368e0b4.jpg

remove
c542c0e1d01ef5e5a880477d5fa73ebc.jpg

Before removing the babbitt the (light silver)

I seem to have an oddball lathe. At least it seems that way to me. Not common at all. Yes , there is a plate underneath on the tailstock end. My lathe is supposed to be a 9a but I sure do see a lot of similarities to a 10k. If the seller of my lathe was correct , and I remember correctly , I think my lathe might be a 1947 model. The serial number is 5041KAR7. I'm not sure how to confirm the date. Yes , I see extra holes under my motor mount plate , but none seem to be to adjust the sideways movement for the motor mount. I guess drilling and tapping new holes is one solution. I was hoping to keep things as original as possible , but I'm seeing that that may not be possible if I want to actually use it.View attachment 347230

I’m going with the theory that if it isn’t broke don’t fix it or make more problems. My lathe came out of a machine shop that is still in business that bought the lathe new from SB. I figured they use the lathe as is and with the plate it came with. So I’m not sure I need to extend the plate. I’m still not sure why tho. Spacer just seamed to be the easiest solution. I am considering this anti vibration form part the master McCarr sells. Will revise that when my lathe is in operation and if the spacer fail or maybe add the form pad for some noise damping if needed.

The more photos I see of your hook up , the more I realize how many parts are missing from my lathe. I bought the turnbuckle from E-bay but I can't find the other parts. So I take it that the end of that shaft and the connector on it is what the knob and shaft connect to that protrudes from the front of the headstock ? As you can see , that "fork' part on mine is connected directly to the mount. By your photo it has a lever in it.Do you think I could just connect threaded rod and the turnbuckle to my mount ? It would push back and tighten the motor belt. I would weld a washer on the rod that will push back against the headstock.This would be to just get my lathe up and working so I could use it until I can find the correct parts. Thank you very much for your help and photos. I'd be interested to see how that shaft connects to the headstock. I guess I'm fortunate that my bearings seem to be in pretty good condition. My lathe was/is just dirty and gunked up. I'm cleaning it little by little as I find time. 20220414_193100.jpg

The more photos I see of your hook up , the more I realize how many parts are missing from my lathe. I bought the turnbuckle from E-bay but I can't find the other parts. So I take it that the end of that shaft and the connector on it is what the knob and shaft connect to that protrudes from the front of the headstock ? As you can see , that "fork' part on mine is connected directly to the mount. By your photo it has a lever in it.Do you think I could just connect threaded rod and the turnbuckle to my mount ? It would push back and tighten the motor belt. I would weld a washer on the rod that will push back against the headstock.This would be to just get my lathe up and working so I could use it until I can find the correct parts. Thank you very much for your help and photos. I'd be interested to see how that shaft connects to the headstock. I guess I'm fortunate that my bearings seem to be in pretty good condition. My lathe was/is just dirty and gunked up. I'm cleaning it little by little as I find time. View attachment 347251

I’m kinda in a similar situation but my lathe seams to be mostly original and completely missing a few odds and ends but nothing i haven’t been able to find. I’m not sure I can get you proper advice and n the turnbuckle. I’m sure someone can jump in and explain what you need better then my self. No problem with the photos glad they helped.

I seem to have an oddball lathe. At least it seems that way to me. Not common at all. Yes , there is a plate underneath on the tailstock end. My lathe is supposed to be a 9a but I sure do see a lot of similarities to a 10k. If the seller of my lathe was correct , and I remember correctly , I think my lathe might be a 1947 model. The serial number is 5041KAR7. I'm not sure how to confirm the date. Yes , I see extra holes under my motor mount plate , but none seem to be to adjust the sideways movement for the motor mount. I guess drilling and tapping new holes is one solution. I was hoping to keep things as original as possible , but I'm seeing that that may not be possible if I want to actually use it.View attachment 347230
Hi Marty- I recently bought a lathe with a similar model to yours: 5913KAR8. And it was also listed as a model 9A. I've done some research and have realized the KAR designation is 10K or "light ten" and the 5913 shows it is from 1956. I'm no expert but believe this particular motor mount was only made between 1954 and 1957 for the 10k's, the 9's have a different motor mount. Based on your serial number your lathe is a 1955 10K Model A.

You can check the serial numbers here: http://vintagemachinery.org/mfgIndex/detail.aspx?id=1617&tab=1

I agree mine as a assembly that already pivots here are some more detailed photos. My lathe is a few years older 4/58.
98c012c8edc73b09199dbabadbf85fd9.jpg

b65a9c20cfa630a6add74470237f2f44.jpg

9f80760a40781534c9b015751f5c2f92.jpg

982f06e3c9710731957fad5a5dfacd9f.jpg
original drawings that came from the seller with the SB sales book of 56
53c77ae5b972a774a15bb79ffe8e3872.jpg
more common unit ie not the one that i have
fde8770febfc3f8f8e0827e95401fa1b.jpg

Here is the Schematic for nine and a 10k seems that there is more of the one unit in the other mine has the tensioning in spring for deflection?

Thank you thank you thank you!!! I've been looking for this schematic for a long time. When I purchased my lathe the previous owner had already disassembled the motor so I had no reference images. Luckily I think I have all of the parts but not sure.

I am confused about part #8. In several of the pictures of 10k's I've seen, there is a "belt tension quick release knob". I couldn't find this knob and thought it was lost but this diagram shows it's a screw.

Attachments

• 17110-02.jpg
    17110-02.jpg
    473.9 KB · Views: 7

Back