What's new
What's new

10k spindle dimensions.

ajroland67

Plastic
Does anyone know the factory specs on a 10k spindle? I'm restoring a 63 10k under mount style lathe and my old spindle is worn significantly. I acquired a really nice flawless spindle to replace it with. But, it's very tight when installed even with the bolts loose. I measured the OD of the old spindle and it's .007 smaller than the replacement. I'm tying to determine if I need to have this spindle ground down a few thousandths to make it work. I have a new set of bearings on the way. So, that could solve the problem maybe. I would love to know the actual factory measurements of the spindle just to see if mine is within specs. Has anyone ran into a similar problem of having a replacement spindle that is too tight to work. I learned the hard way not to try and spread the headstock gap too much. I broke the cast iron and had to find a replacement casting. That said the new spindle is too tight in the replacement as well. I would appreciate any information that I can get on this issue.

thanks,
Tony

Last edited:
Is this the one with the bronze bearing expanders? I don't have one myself but I've read that there's a very specific way of installing and adjusting those bearings.

The bearing has to fit the spindle OD, The clearance perhaps .001 has to be all around. done is done now and the lathe guys here likely will give you the way to proceed.

Imagine if they don't have the same clearance all around then an up-down test might show .001, and a push-pull might show .003.the

Last edited:
Is this the one with the bronze bearing expanders? I don't have one myself but I've read that there's a very specific way of installing and adjusting those bearings.
Yes, it has the bronze bearings. I found a South bend tech sheet that stresses a particular sequence of removing and replacing. I was able to get the original OD size for the spindle and my replacement is within the specs. I'm thinking of maybe using my harbor freight lathe if I can keep the feed working long enough, to make an arbor to hold the bronze bushing so I can turn or polish it down a few thousandths. The good news is I have three sets of these bushings so I can afford to screw one up. I read one other post where someone had an almost identical issue but the thread stops without a solution.

The bearing has to fit the spindle OD, The clearance perhaps .001 has to be all around. done is done now and the lathe guys here likely will give you the way to proceed.
I do have a set of the bushings that fit the spindle perfectly. However, when that are installed into the casting it collapses the bearing just a little too much. I've measured the OD of the bearings and they are bigger than the originals. So, I'm thinking of turning or sanding the OD of the bearings. Third option I've ordered a set of NOS bearings. When they arrive I will see if they work better.

You don't want to screw up that first one. tell what you think to do and post it before doing anything.
If you turn anything you might wish to do that turning between centers, if what it has to fit has any taper that has to be considered. Often the fit may vary and turning won't be close enough, so scraping may be due.
*But again I am not the lathe guy so the lathe guys who have done this procedure should do that advising.
*There are a number of lathe rebuilding threads here on PM.

Last edited:
I was able to use my other lathe to make an arbor. I turned the shell bearing OD down approximately .005. This allowed a nice fit in the headstock and the spindle was able to be installed with the proper clearance. It works and that's all that matters at this point.

Good job on getting it worked out, I am curious how you held the split bushing onto the arbor?

I'm attempting to load some pictures. It keeps telling me file is too big. So, I will have to see how to shrink the file somehow. I was originally going to drill and tap the face and hold the bearing onto the arbor with a washer type item. But, it fit snug enough on it's own to take very light cut and polish. I was concerned that I may mess up the concentricity. It worked well though.

Back