What's new
What's new

10MM to 3/8-16???

Spinninchips

Plastic
Hi Guys...

I've been trying to find a fly cutter in MT2 AND with 3/8-16 draw bar threading... all I can find is the China stuff with M10 threads. What are your thoughts on my buying one and then drilling out the M10 and re-threading to the 3/8-16 I need. It's going to go into my Clausing 8520 which uses the MT2 and 3/8-16 for collets, and I think having the threads in this tool will help snug it in the taper is a good idea... am I wrong? I appreciate your inputs. I was going to get a small shell mill but fear it's too large for my Clausing to drive with a 1/2hp motor (2" diameter w/4 cutters). What are your thoughts on this idea? Am I correct that the fly cutter will probably give me the better finish even though a slower process? I'm trying to find a method for facing and truing with a nice finish. Thanks as always!! BoB

I have an assortment of various size store-bought flycutters with 1/2" straight shanks that I use in R8 collets in my Rockwell mill. They work fine, so I suppose they will work just as well in a 2MT collet or endmill holder in a Clausing mill.

I only use brazed carbide bits in my flycutters and find they perform well on steel, cast iron, aluminum or brass. HSS will work, but you have to be more careful with the cutting edge shape and cutting speed. I got the mill in 1974, so I have done a lot of cutting over the years. You will need a good diamond wheel on a grinder to keep the carbide tools sharp.

Larry

M10 is larger than 3/8, so I would tend to think about other options

Making a metric drawbar would not seem a huge undertaking, and if there are other metric m2 tools out there, perhaps useful

In order of preference.

1 make a metric drawbar (I have 3 for a 30 taper mill)

2 a keyed thread insert like mcmaster carr linked.

3 a helicoil

machinist: make it yourself.
first choice- a 3/8 round of tool steel , 4140,4340 etc and thread the ends for whatever doodads it needs.

last choice- just go to any hardware store, buy some 3/8-16 allthread and some nuts and washers .

it's a drillpress with an x-y table. it ain't a Cincinnati.

Hi Guys...

I've been trying to find a fly cutter in MT2 AND with 3/8-16 draw bar threading... all I can find is the China stuff with M10 threads. What are your thoughts on my buying one and then drilling out the M10 and re-threading to the 3/8-16 I need. It's going to go into my Clausing 8520 which uses the MT2 and 3/8-16 for collets, and I think having the threads in this tool will help snug it in the taper is a good idea... am I wrong? I appreciate your inputs. I was going to get a small shell mill but fear it's too large for my Clausing to drive with a 1/2hp motor (2" diameter w/4 cutters). What are your thoughts on this idea? Am I correct that the fly cutter will probably give me the better finish even though a slower process? I'm trying to find a method for facing and truing with a nice finish. Thanks as always!! BoB
I have the same problem with my M head. gotta have 3/8 x 16 DB. Found this just in case youre still looking/
dlbentley

Back